Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i used the original 289 motor mounts off my 67 and they didnt line up. i was hard to get the driver side mount lined up to get a bolt through it. the passenger motor mount doesnt line up to the hole very much at all so i'm unable to get the bolt through it. i tried everything and had 2 friends try it also. why would the 289 motor mounts give me such a problem? i ordered 2 new 67 mounts from oriely's and i'm gonna give them a try.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
67 small block frame mounts require a special motor mount that is no longer available. Auto parts stores sell the motor mounts for 68-70. Drill new holes in the frame mounts or get 68-70 mounts.

67 small block frame mounts are the same as big block mounts. Sell them on ebay as big block mounts and get the 68-70 small block ones.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
True. Here's a page on the difference, and how to modify the brackets.

"Original" 67 mounts will have the Ford marking "C7ZE". If yours don't have this, they are likely later replacement mounts forced in. When you removed them, they went back to their original shape. Glazier/Nolan can provide mounts that fit, but they don't come cheap.

Mustang Smallblock V8 Motor Mounts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so you're saying to order 68 mounts at the auto store instead of 67 mounts? and it'll bea direct fit then?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone know the upc for the motor mount i need? i called orielys, they said the 67 and 68 used the same bracket (same upc) but did have a different one but they cant get it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got it in. i unscrewed the 2 bolts holding the motor mount to the engine.
I put the long bolt through the motor mount (that holds it to the car)..
then I used a piece of 2x2 metal to pry on the motor mount while another guy got underneith the car and screwed the bolts into the engine. if anyone ever wants more details just let me know. it was easy after figuring out that method.

but yea the 67 remanufactured mounts from orielys definately didnt work.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
so you're saying to order 68 mounts at the auto store instead of 67 mounts? and it'll be a direct fit then?
No. If you have the OE 67 frame brackets, no auto store anywhere has your mounts. If they say they do, they're wrong.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
I got it in. i unscrewed the 2 bolts holding the motor mount to the engine.
I put the long bolt through the motor mount (that holds it to the car)..
then I used a piece of 2x2 metal to pry on the motor mount while another guy got underneith the car and screwed the bolts into the engine. if anyone ever wants more details just let me know. it was easy after figuring out that method.

but yea the 67 remanufactured mounts from orielys definately didnt work.
This is probably how they got it together with the wrong mounts in the first place. The right mounts will slide right in, with no prying at all.

·
Registered
583 Posts
dude i had the same problem on my 65 except it was a stock block. i bought new stock motor mounts and the passenger side did not fit. the front of the bracket was hitting the oil filter base side of the block. so i had to take it out and gride that side flat and eventualy it fit. but yes i did try what u did to pry it and it did work a little but i coundnt get the mount to sit flush.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts