Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll Get used to it. I do get to change my name now though. This Forum will take some getting used to but i think once the bugs are worked out it will be better. "We" Deffinatly need to be separate from the classifeds IMHO.
Anyway I'm going to look at another pony tonight to add to the stable. Well it's a horse of a differnt color, It's a 68 Cougar, I really don't know much about them but I know that they are basicly mustangs. I image i'll look in the same places for rust but do any of you know about these cars? Are there any "rare" options i should look for?TIA

AKA "Fastbackpimp"
65 Fastback
http://hometown.aol.com//dasbus73/Index.html

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I concur with your comments. I think that we will get sued to the new format. goo dluck on your new 'acquisition' review.

On your other topic, I have always liked Cougars. I used to have a 69 Cougar, with a 351W and FMX. It was my first car. It broke (shock tower - nowadays, it would get repaired, but it went to Willie the Hook (that was the name of the salvage/towing company, really!). Cougars have a uniqueness to them, that Mustangs don't have.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I had a '68 Cougar XR-7 when I was 22 and it was only 7. In many ways they are rebodied Mustangs, but they are also unique. The whole feel of the car was different, since Mercury tried to position itself as upscale from Ford.

The best Cougars are either the XR-7 (luxury touring) or the GT/GT-E, IMHO. You could get the Cougar with an overhead console, an option that was probably rare for the time. Mine had a leather interior as well. Since I can't have one of everything (SWMBO and my bank account both object) the Cougar is just off the bottom of my list, but I sure did like the one I had.

BP
1969 Mach 1, 428CJ
1965 A-Code Convertible

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I agree, it should be separate.

I have a real fondness for '67/'68 Cougars. I had a '68 GT 390 XR7 that my car in HS and it was great. They have a little bit different feel than a Mustang........ maby softer, maby just more controllable, don't know.

I think the later ones were a little too boaty, but that's just me. As far as things to look for, there about the same as the Mustangs..... cowls, floors etc. rust. The XR7's are desireable and a much nicer interior package. Let us know what you find out............

1 - 4 of 4 Posts