Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt my control valve, it seems a little tight, The stud does not move backwards. It will move forward about a 1" to 1/2". It moves side to side about a 1/4 to a 1/2". Of course this is all by hand. Does anyone know if this is correct?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I think what you are feeling is normal, the ball studs are usually very tight after a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You posted earlier that you used a wedge to remove the stud from the pitman arm and the stud came out of the sleeve. When that happens the the sleeve and the ball stud bushing will be bent and no longer round.

I'm thinking maybe even though you replaced the bushing, the sleeve is out of round. That will cause binding.

If that's the case a new sleeve is in order.

Let me know as I'm tearing mine apart now for rebuild.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My only concern is that I did use a fork to remove from pitman arm. They say the bushing should move freely in the sleeve, it moves but not a whole lot. It maybe out of round. I am not sure how to get it rounded back out. Instruction say to put a 1" steel rod in the sleeve and tap it in.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I just finished taking mine apart. Once cleaned, the new ball stud bushing would bind up as the end of it came to the edge of the hole in the sleeve. Here's what I did.

Using the old bushing (as a test tool), I sanded it smooth (the bushing) and slid it back into the sleeve. When it would bind I removed the sleeve and noted where the scratches were on the bushing. That was where I needed to work on the sleeve. Apparently a PO worked on this thing as the ball stud hole in the sleeve was slightly out of round and had burrs on the inside. I used an small half round file to clean the burrs in the sleeve and followed with 320 wet paper using mineral spirits as a sanding lubricant. Multiple passes fixed the issue. I then used 400 grit paper (wet) on the bushing and polished it on a buffer wheel. The sleeve moves nice and smooth now.

Remember the sleeve only goes in as far as to make the sleeve end and bushing end flush with one another. If you go too deep into the sleeve it will bind, but in normal operation it does'nt go that far.

It was a time consuming task but if the sleeve is not too far out of round you can probably straighten it out.

Hope this helps...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts