Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
19,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving to my office this morning, I noticed a white nondescript sedan up ahead with what looked like the shiny copper of an Arizona Antique license plate. I had to find out for sure. Unbelievable, the plate (which, for a fee, can go on any car that is 25 years old or older) was on a Cadillac of no particular outstanding qualities and I swear the car wasn't old enough to qualify. I guess it was a late 70s, but I'm not sure, as it only looked like a mid-80s model to me.

What a way to demean the word "Antique" and what a joke to put it on that car. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

·
Administrator
13,026 Posts
That's right up there with going to a garage sale and seeing "antiques" signs on various things!
Stan

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Apparently, the Federal Antiquities Law doesn't apply to automobiles . . . 50 years or older /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. . . I prefer to view my Mustang as "vintage", but certainly not as "antique" /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif!!

Rick

·
Registered
286 Posts
What irritates me is when I spot some rusted out, nondescript piece of junk sporting a collector car tag. You just know the owner is using it to avoid having to pass emissions every year. I hope Colorado doesn't do away with collector plates due to abuse.

G

·
In Colorado, antiques are exempt from taxes and road use fees.

I have a friend that licensed his 2 1/2 ton working truck as antique.

Your a fool if you don't use the loop holes available to you. If the gov't doesn't like it, they can change the law.

I presume the Caddy driver in AZ may have similar financial reasons.

On my Calf. car, I'll keep the plates I have since they are the original '66 plates. Don't know if there are similar antique rules here.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I hope Federal and state laws don't apply to people, I've had trouble with my wife wanting to label me an antique (over 50) and don't need the government messing with me too !!

·
Administrator
19,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, in Arizona there is no advantage to having the Antique plate. In fact, it costs more to have, just like personalized plates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts