Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1970 Mustang today. The guy said its an original 302\C6 posi and shaker hood car. Don't know if thats true, but he didn't get the hood with the car.

The C6 is bad, no forward gears and reverse is really hard to find.

So I need a shaker hood and a C6! I get paid in a week! LOL

1970 Mustang

http://www.joeshome.com/cars/70mustang/passengerfront.jpg

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I don't think Ford ever put a C-6 in a Mustang with a 302....it was a truck transmission, at least that is what I always thought but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
What are the codes on the door tag? What is the VIN? Get a Marti Auto report and learn exactly what your car came with from the factory.

I have never heard of a 302 backed by a C6 in a Mustang. That right there tells me the guy is full of BS and can't be trusted.

Best of luck, though.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I checked the door tag. DOH! Its gone! It had been repainted and maybe the door had been swaped or something. Original color looks to be light blue.

The VIN is 0F01H126082
That shows up as a 351 2V car.
I was once told that Ford put the C6 behind the 351s due to the additional power. Still might be a 302 engine, just not original. I don't mind things not beeing original really. But a shaker hood would have been cool!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well they put the C6 behind anything with lots of power. So its not just a truck trany. Lots of 351Cs had em. I know a guy with an LTD that has a 460 and a C6. LOL I would think that they put that trany behind all the bigblock cars/trucks.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
A '70 351C-2v with auto would have come with an FMX. Do you have a 302 under the hood or a Clevo? Count the bolts on the valve covers. 8 = C, 6 = 302 (or possibly a 351W?)

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
One note, according to Kevin Marti's book and therefore Fords records no 1970 Mustang with a smallblock ever got a C6 tranny (only optional in 1970 behind the big block). Starting in 1971 it became optional behind some 351 powered smallblocks. If tranny is original it is most likely a FMX- look for two piece tranny- cast iron body and aluminum bellhousing- which is secured to cast iron body, bolted from outside (rear side) by four bolts (talking about bellhousing only-not to engine)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He said that it was a 302. I don't know my engines well enough to identify it. All I know is that it runs good!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Nice find Joe! Soak that whole engine compartment in Simple Green, I'll bet it comes clean!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
What I meant about the C-6 being a "truck tranny" was when it is conected to a 302....trucks were the only vehicles you could get a C-6 with a 302....It is hard to type you thoughts sometimes.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear that! I'm always missing the mark online. I have even made some people mad at me when I was just trying to totaly agree! hehe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts