Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Funny...that's right up the road from me. Call them from the local police department and ask them if I can come look at it.

Reactions: geicoman58

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
A "66 Shelby" for only 24K and it's been listed for 18 days? Hmmmmm....

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
I was bored for a moment (probably adult ADHD or something doctors would be reluctant to name) so I called the contact info from a blocked number. It is a Google Voice number which means it rings forward to another number. I left a voice mail ;)

Reactions: subpar63

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I smell fish too... but I live at the beach... but yeah, different kinda fish there...
I thought Barbara Streisand was moving to Jupiter with Cher.

·
Registered
1967 GT500
542 Posts
I saw an ad in local paper for a 1967 vette several years ago. Local number given. Was told car not in CT but NC. CT was sister's number. Told owned by old widower who just wanted to be rid of it dirt cheap. I told them that I wanted to drive down and inspect it. Was told she was too frail and just send money and they would ship it up. Email even went as far as to include an old lady's picture in the email body.

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
Whats the point of people doing this? Are they trying to get emails or phone numbers? I'm really sick of scammers and their BS!
I believe the idea behind this sort of scam is to collect as many sight unseen "deposits to hold the car" as they can get, the trick being to arrange for those deposits to be paid in such a way as they cannot be traced or returned. Scammers are very clever in how they go about doing this. They will create a sense of urgency that you must act now to secure the car and come up with convincing reasons why the vehicle in question cannot be inspected in person immediately. Your deposit must be sent a certain way like through Paypal Friends and Family, a Walmart-to-Walmart transfer, cash to a post office box, whatever. They will insist on communicating only by a particular means "that works best for them" outside of any forum or listing medium like CL or ebay. They know a certain small percentage of hopeful and gullible folk can be talked into jumping through whatever hoops they ask for to send them money. You send the bucks and they become suddenly unreachable.

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
Whatever happened to the alleged Shelby in the NJ garage, all covered by graffiti and junk? That had a fishy smell too.
That thread by new member bbildakid from 3/29/20 was titled "Old Mustang for Sale As Soon As We Clean Out The Garage". He has not been back. The scary thing about that thread was when he said that some of us had "already reached out to him". Those words "reach out" are a scam tell in any potential For Sale transaction by the way. Watch out for those that say they want to "reach out to you" by some other method than the one already being used.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That ad was in Raleigh a few months ago. They are collecting phone numbers and emails. Its always an awesome deal on a car or a coyote engine and trans for $2k.

I have an email address that i use to check these type of things out, so personal email doesn't get filled with spam.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I replied to an ad in the Atlanta CL for a 65 2+2. Car was in Tucson in storage, owner taking a job in the Middle East blah blah blah.

Great, my sister lives in Tucson she will show up with cash to inspect the car and complete the transaction.

Crickets

1 - 19 of 19 Posts