Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After just getting home from my job working 11 hours of stupid construction well into a friday night of my youth I was thinking. All this work I do goes to that peice of junk ford smellin up the garage downstairs?? Im still in high school so I dont have to worry about food, rent. All I have to pay is insurance and gas. But, ALL my damn money goes to my 72 fastback. Now before any one says, yeah It would only be worth it if it was a 64-70, I like my car better than those little girly "sporty" cars:)( flame away!!). Anyway, am I the only preson here that put their money to nothing much more than their car? Im starting to wonder if its even worth it? I mean its only a damn car right? You vmf are a bad influence /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Putting all these expensive ideas in my head and motivating me to buy this and that? And honestly, I really am addicted to this place. I cant go to sleep before skimming through the posts. Hell. When I first introduced my self to the forum and somebody told me its addicting, they are not kidding. I think someone needs to make a vmf patch:) So , I guess it sucks to spend all your coin on your ride and all those hours workin on the stupid thing. But driving it really does make it worth it. I guess its the thumbs up, v8 power, feeling of accomplishing something,and line around my house of under-age blondes waiting for rides that keeps me going:) Just had to vent. Im frustrated, but I guess the only solution that would work is to make more coin. *SIGH* Somebody encourage me and tell me its worth it!!! My parents sure as hell don't.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey man i know what you meen i did that durring school with my last car before i wrecked it then now im working and get crappy hours and not very large paychecks. and when i thought abot it i wasnt gonna have extra cash untill my job is over and then i will feel bad spending it cause i need to go to college this august. and the parents thing, my mom is buggin the firstday with my '72 coupe my mom goes through like ten fits and im on the recieving end of all her ranting. it sure does blow when your parents make you feel like crap about spending your own money.
Adam

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes, I'm young too, and work a *lot*. I have other payments, but I constantly spend a LOT of money weekly on my 67 stang.

However, whenever I start to regret it, I just hop in it, and turn it on. Thing is *loud*, and that's why everyone in town knows where I am at all times all days :p

Then you just goose the throttle to my 500hp engine, and I'm instantly feeling better.

It may be corny, but when Nicholas Cage in Gone in 60 seconds talks about the instant feeling of blasting down the road, I feel the same way, except I paid for mine :p

Enjoy man, it's what you live for - hapiness

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
WOW! somebody needs to take ten. I know of a twin turbo set up that is just what you need. It will make you happy and only cost $10,000. I own one of those girly 70 sportroofs and I'm going to look at a boss 351 tomorrow. How much do you want for that junk ford? You can save money by first making a plan of what you want and what's it going to take. Winging it only leads to money in the crapper. If you want some cleveland advice you can email me and I'll give you my number and help you as much as I can, with in reason. Lord knows I know a lot of the what not to do's. I sure hope your tomorrow.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whatever you do, DON'T get rid of the 'stang unless you have another to take it's place!! I owned and got rid of my first about 10 years ago, big mistake! Finally this last Nov I was able to afford to get my second. If you think that the VMF is addicting, try going without a 'stang for 10 years after having owned one, everytime you'd see one, you'd kick yourself in the @$$.

As far as the money, take your time, you're young and have plenty of it. When you think there's something you just have to have, but don't have the money, remember one thing, at least you still have the mustang.

Keep the faith!!

Jason

·
Registered
702 Posts
Have faith, we have all "been there, done that". There is a saying it's all time and money, when you have the time, you don't have the money and when you have the money, you don't have the time. As the other VMers have said set up a plan, take your time and do what you can. With a house. a family and all the associated bills my stang has been on jack stands for 2 years ( I should say the shell) and the rest of the parts are all over the house! As for you parents rants, just tell them between working construction, working on the stang and spending time here on the Forum, you DON'T have time to run around take drugs and getting into trouble. They pretty much know where you are and what you're doing. Then ask them if your parent's friends can say that about THEIR kids(He He).

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm laughing my @ss off here. Been there..

Remember one thing. If it stops being fun, stop doing it. Problem is, it won't. It gets worse as you get older. At least it did for me. As soon as I graduated crom College, I bought a Corvette that sucked lots of money out of me. It was a 72. I sold it because I was "sick of fixing it"..Now I am kicking myself !

Well, now I am a mustang guy, and I look back at all the mustangs I had an opportunity to buy over the years and I kick myself again. Back in 84 I could have bought my neighbors 69 Mach 1 for 2300 bucks. I bought a Camaro instead (DUMB DUMB DUMB..but it dd get me through colloge without even a trip to the shop).

Hang in there. The money your putting into the Car is like money in the bank. You won't lost on it over time. Look at it that way. Or, just look at it that it's a bunch of fun and its worth it.
Post a PIC..

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I know how you feel and the situation never changes. There NEVER is enough money to blow on these projects. Soon you will be on the career fastrack and SWMBO will be ranting about you spending coins on your car instead of the family, kids and debt obligations. If I was making the money I do now before we had kids, or before I got married, I would be able to spend big$$$$ towards my mustang and it would be completely done in under a year. But nooo.....SWMBO controls the checkbook, payments, living expenses, kids, etc, etc, etc, etc. limit me to about $100/month towards my car....if I can get away with that.

So, my stang is definately a budget affair, and it takes time to earn money to spend on it. (Moonlighting) I love every minute of it though, and am not the least bit frustrated, for now. Gotta go stack some more hay at the farm now, so I can earn a couple hundred for more car parts, lol. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
After 35 years of car and motorcyle addiction, I've got 2 words for you: "Pace yourself.".

We all tend to over-reach when it comes to this hobby. If you let it, your quest for bigger-better-nicer will run your life. Slow down. Savor the process of building the car a little at a time. Accept the fact that this is a multi-year project (I know that sounds like an eternity at your age) and that you need to balance your life with other interests. Try spending less time and money on the car and a little more on whatever. When I was your age, girls were a pretty good distraction, IIRC. *G*

When I bought my fastback (going on 3 years ago), I deluded myself into thinking that it would be a 6 month, $9k project. Two and 3/4 years and $14k later, the car still sits on jackstands, about 3000 bucks and a year from completion.

Everybody is impatient and takes on more than they have time and money to do. Slow down and enjoy the improvements in small increments. You have plenty of time.

There really is no hurry....

BTW - I wonder if Bob knows he owns one of those "Little girly sporty cars" ? LOL

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Nothing too girly about a 428 police interceptor V8!!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Nobody needs to encourage you. NOBODY understands WHY i bought or own my Mustang, except me. Nobody needs to understand except me!

I too spend almost $100 a week on my Mustang (spread out, usually one huge payment!) but its worth it. There have been times i have been pushed so far by my car that i thought about selling it (like yesterday finding rust holes in the roof!) but i will not give in!

I dont have this car because other people like it, i dont have this car because someone encouraged me to buy it, i bought this car because I WANTED TO!

A LOT of people think im crazy - but its my car, its my money and the only person that i need to justify this to is me

Gary

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keep doing what you're doing. When I was in high school, all guys worked on cars. Most of my generation learned mechanics, electricity, patience, the value of money, how to make money, how to impress girls, and other valuable skills just from working and building up our cars. My claim to fame at 16 was to put a 396 in a 1947 business coup. I sold that car back in 1972, and have kicked my self ever since. I am now a retired naval officer who teaches high school, and I can't begin to tell you how sad it is to see such a large group of mechanically challenged sissies in high school now! These guys couldn't think themselves out of a outhouse. They haven't a clue what hand tools are. One time I sent some guys out to help a fellow female teacher change her tire - what a joke! It was like the three stooges! Chris Rock once said the path to his success was the purchase of a house, why? Because he had to make more money to keep it! You keep rockin dude. You do need to take time out for surfboardin tho, I do. Not bad for a 48 y/o eh?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts