Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made an appointment for Monday to have an upholstery shop put my new top and window in. I have been trying to do it myself for over a week now, and almost caused marital problems last nite when I contemplated taking scissors to the #$%@*& thing. I really think I could have done it but after talking to the shop today I figured out that the tacking strips that NPD sells for both the header and #4 bow should really only be used for the header bow. Its some type of plastic and in the #4 bow the staples never hold. the shop I am taking it to makes their own strips of layers of hard cardboard glued together in strips. If I had started out a week ago with the right tacking strip I would not have repeatedly had problems with getting the window attached, but now I am just tired of the whole thing. Oh well. At least swmbo is so happy to have me take it to a shop so I am not grousing around that she forgot that I ordered some extra stuff on the theory that I was saving money installing it myself!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This shop charges a flat fee of $400 to install the top. It will cost me an extra $25 to have them make the #4 bow tacking strip, but I think that is a good deal because it would cost me $25 for a sheet of the material like they use, and it will be like a factory strip when it is done.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I installed my own top on my 69! It looks good! The next one went to the shop for a professional
installation, it looks better! I thought I was going to kill someone before I got the 69 done!!
I actually installed it about 40 times in the process and still had to go back and make adjustments,
I have the knowledge but not the expertice.
Bruce (TX)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts