Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time in a year or so I got under a stang to work. I could only find one jack stand, so only one side of the car was jacked up. Man, I forgot how little clearance there is. I had to drop the dual exhaust, disconnect the e-brake cables, and drop the crossmember from beneath the trans in order to be ready to pull the engine tomorrow. There was barely room to grab wrenches off the floor, maneuver the air rachet into position, etc. The underside was covered in either oil or trans fluid, which made it totallyi gross to work on. Had about three panic attacks when it seemed I could not get out from under the car, or couldn't move my body into position to reach a tool or access a bolt. Claustophobia!!! I think I am getting too old for this sort of work. I need a lift! (I guess that extra 20 lbs gained over the past 5 years is having an effect!) It was not a pleasant hour under the car. I have something like 1,000 feet of shop space, but the only free space to work is a narrow area which about a foot on one side of the car and 18 inches on the other. ugh. I think tomorrow I'll have the car's owner get underneath to pull the crossmember bolts, now that I have the nuts off adn the trans supported with a floor jack. Meanwhile, the replacement engine is looking very very nice. I polished all the hose clamps, have new stainless or ARP hardware, fresh paint everywhere, new hoses, plug wires. finned valve covers, alum. intake. The carb needs calibrating, so when I do that I will also polish what I can on the buffing wheel. Hopefully it will be running Sunday.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I totally have been there. I had both sides jacked up but of the 100 or so hours it took to install my drivetrain, 30-40 were in some very uncomfortable/cramped positions. And I did it in the dead of winter, so I was also crammed in my tiny garage. I determined after that job that I need a lift. Unfortunately, the beams in my garage are too low to put on in.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If you have limited ceiling space, check out kwiklift.com. Gets the wheels about 24 inches up. I can sit under my car to work! You can also get dollies to move the lift and the car around.

·
Registered
32 Posts
all my jack stands (4) are extra tall made for 4x4's (other hobby)

the stock scissor jack from my wifes 2wd dodge pickup will not pick up the car high enough to get the jack stands under it !

i need a floor jack at the house.

my neighbor came over last week while the car was up on the stands and thought i was putting a lift kit on it... (he is used to seeing me working on my Jeep with 44" tires)

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I've been there when I've had an arm get stuck and can't easily wiggle to get free and the car floor is about an inch from my nose. That's when I start to worry about the jack stands suddenly failing and no one else is home.

·
Premium Member
19,247 Posts
I have the same feeling whenever I get behind an original steering wheel of our Mustangs. This is why I went to a 13.5" diameter wheel!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I know what you mean, Your out there all by yourself and if something bad was to happen it would or could be hours before anybody noticed. Not a good feeling, especially when your just not use to it. But end the end I just suck it up and get the job done.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
It's really a horrible feeling. I actually just found out that a co-worker's boyfriend was recently crushed by a car he was working on. Let's be safe out there guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts