Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend we got my car running- with a new Edelbrock carburetor. We set the timing to about 10 degrees advanced, and tuned the air/fuel ratio.

The car idled in the garage for quite a while and stayed around 180. :: Not to mention, it ran great! :)

Today- it was about 80-85 outside. I drove the car into town- 8 miles-it stayed at 175 the whole way- going about 55-60mph. As soon as I got into town the temp went to 178- just a tad under 180. I drove the car all over town (25 miles all together)- everywhere- stopped at traffic signals that are really long, got gas, went to autozone, etc.- the temp did not go above 180- EVER. Last time I drove into town the car hit 210 at the first stoplight- this was with the old engine, old fan set-up etc.

I am very pleased with how the car ran- my only concern is the idle- the engine shakes a little- but smooths out right as the rpms go up- is this normal? The cam has a .498 lift with a .224 duration at .50....

So anyway- I'm sure if it was 100 outside the temp would have gone up a little bit, but If it was 100 out I wouldnt drive the car- it is just too uncomfortable for me.

Well...I sure am happy...thanks for all of the help and putting up with me for months! ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Im pretty sure the engine shaking at idle is normal. Mine used to shake BAD (C code 289 stock), but I think thats becuase i was only running four cylinders at idle :: anyways, she still shakes a lil bit, but not horrilby. I gotta admit, i kinda like it, it makes my back feel good. ::

Travis

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Check your compression and see if they are all pretty much even. Uneven compression will make an engine shake. 289 engines are very smooth and if they are nice and even, should not shake much at all. Having a bit of a cam in the engine though WILL make it shake a bit as well... Glad to see you have your cooling issues taken care of! Congrats! ::

1 - 4 of 4 Posts