Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend told me about a stang sitting in the sticks for the last couple years, so I went and checked it out. Has Shelby dark blue stripes on real light blue paint, tach pod on cowl, front side scoops, Louvers on quarter windows, rear scoops, no holes in body, interior good, grass a foot high around it. Nobody was home, but I left my #. The front side scoops and tach pod on cowl are really throwing me. It has a cobra plate on dash and emblems all over. What is this car? And if you know, what kind of value? Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Well, the 65's had the side louvers in the upper 1/4 area but not lower side scoops.

The 66's had lower scoops but plexiglass upper 1/4 windows.

65's were painted white, many (but not all) had the front to rear stripes.

66's came in several colors, not just white.

Can you take some images to post? Pop the hood to check vin# / look for Shelby vin plate?

Good luck wiith the find.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
To my knowlege The 65's DID have lower side scoops. They were riveted on, and there was plumbing to the rear brakes to cool them......

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Nope, original '65 Shelbys had no lower side scoops, although some cars had them added after they became available in '66.

good luck..

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, they were riveted and plumbed. Behind the front tires, made into the fenders, are louvers, about 8" tall. I just have never seen this or the tachpod on cowl of such an old car.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
what body style was it based on? 64.5-66, 67-68, 69-70, beyond?

G

·
Only '66 Shelby's had the rear brake scoops and cooling tubes, and none of them had louvers in the fenders. Also, the dashpod was used on the '65 Shelby, and not the '66. The '66 Shelby had a top-mounted tach on the dash. What you probably have is a Mustang that was Shelbyized for road racing, but don't quit looking. Look for the Shelby VIN tag on the left-front fender.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts