Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A previous owner of my 1972 Mustang convertible attached the convertible top power cable and the solenoid +12V to the same post on the 20-amp circuit breaker.



Maybe the circuit breaker fried once upon a time, so the clever chap bypassed it. Hey, it worked. Well, for awhile. One day it didn't work anymore, and the under-hood light, split from the same wire, also does not work.

I put a meter on it and noted that there is continuity, but only about 0.02 volts get through (testing elsewhere shows a good 12+ volts). So, might this mean that the power cable melted, since there was no circuit overload in place? If so, how would one find a suitable replacement for this wire, including the 4-5 routing clips that take it from the solenoid to the firewall?

I know this is a mouthful, but I am bound a determined to get this top working again! Many thanks for any assistance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Not sure about replacing the wire, but here are some pictures of the wiring on my 73 Convertible.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about replacing the wire, but here are some pictures of the wiring on my 73 Convertible.
Thanks for that, Mike! I was fortunate that the problem was rust and corrosion on the contacts at the bypassed 20-amp circuit breaker. So I got a new 20-amp circuit breaker, put it in-line as it was supposed to be, and used some fine sand paper to clean the contacts, and presto, proper power to the hood lamp and top switch. Come to think of it, I think I should add some dialectric grease there to slow that from happening again.

And compared to your clean photos, I think I have some cleaning to do in the engine compartment. :)
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top