Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 years ago my engine started a valve train tick. I took it apart to find the issue and wasn't able to find it. When I had the engine taken apart I figured I'd make it bigger, stronger, faster, better :pirate: Well a heads/cam/intake swap later, completely new exhaust system, a new transmission and a new rear end center section and I think I'm finally done lol! I was hoping to get this thing on the road this time last year but after alot of transmission drama that never happend. Hoping to take it out tomorrow weather permitting.

The build:

357w
stock crank
Eagle I-beam rods
Probe SRS forged pistons
Clevite H-series bearings
Canfield 192 cylinder heads (ported: intake - 308cfm @ .700" & exhaust - 258cfm @ .700")
Custom billet solid roller camshaft (specs undisclosed ;) but its not very big duration wise given what this engine can do)
1.72 ratio Scorpion roller rockers
Trick Flow pushrods
Jomar stud girdle
Edelbrock Vic Jr. (port matched to heads)
Barry Grant 850 Mighty Demon carb

Exhaust:

1 3/4" Hooker Super Comp headers
3" Pypes x-pipe
3" exhaust back to Hooker Max Flow mufflers
exhaust dumped before rear axle

Drivetrain:

AODE transmission - manual valve body, upgraded internal including mechanical diode, Art Carr 9.5" converter w/ 3500 rpm stall
4" driveshaft with Strange 1350 yokes
4.11 9" rear end with Daytona pinion support.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Funny how these engine tear downs become 2 year projects, I've been there. Glad you're getting back on the road Ryan.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
that's good news. are you going to hit the strip soon?

what are you going to do about your rear valance?

what was your duration at 0.2"?

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's good news. are you going to hit the strip soon?

what are you going to do about your rear valance?

what was your duration at 0.2"?

Yeah, I'd like to take it to the strip sometime. Up at Dragway 42 they have a Tuesday night thing that they do called the "100mph club". You can drive anything that night. My feeling is that the car is going to be too fast to meet NHRA safety regs on any other night.

For the rear valance, I do plan on taking the exhaust out the back eventually. I think that I'm going to need to find a diesel performance shop that can mandrel bend 3" pipe to make the over axle tubes. I have 3" tubes that are from a Magnaflow kit but I grew tired of messing with them trying to get them to fit as the rest of my exhaust is not Magnaflow.

I'd have to look in some emails to find the .2" duration. Its not on the cam card lol which is piss poor in my opinion for a custom bumpstick. I will say the lobes are Comp Cams lobes and they are not mild in the least for a mostly street engine. I used the 1.72 ratio rockers to get the valve lift up while keeping the lobe lift down.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
thanks. let me know what you find for the 0.2" numbers. i'm just curious to see the difference.

i think you already know how i feel about the particular designer.

what was your planned max RPM?

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I said no more than a 7000 rpm shift point. Peak hp should come at 6000 rpms with a 6700 rpm shift point.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I got to take her out on the street today. No major issues; just a few bugs to work out. I took it easy on her...nothing more than half throttle and no more than 4000 rpms but I can tell you this, she is going to be really really fast! For not being tuned and only running 30* of total advance right now this thing will flat out lay it down. Can't wait to get her tuned up and off to the dyno.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Sounds nice and mellow at idle but has a nasty snarl when you rev it up!..They say the tailpipe diameter isn't quite a critical as the forward half of the system as the exhaust gas has cooled and slowed down by then..My system is 3 inch but the tail pipes are not totally mandrel bent...I don't think it is hurting me any but I may uncork it this year at the track just to find out..

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Guess I really can't get to borrow your engine now lol. Congrats on getting her on the road

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Ryan all I can say is it's about time! It sounds great. Hopefully we'll get to meet up again this year since you finally got it back together.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! Doug, we are gonna have to race at National Trails this year lol!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts