Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the chat guys and mostly to Charlie Jones who urged me to dive in there....I took my 600cfm Holley off today and broke it down. I cleaned the bowls, the jets, the fuel inlet valves and everything else I could get to with STP carb cleaner. There was some residue inside the bowls, I'm hoping that was what was causing my stumbling idle. Anyway, armed with my online-instilled courage and my Chilton's manual, I was able to successfully tear apart and reassemble the carb. Its much cleaner now and I'm not quite so afraid of it. I fired the car up and it did indeed seem to idle better, there is still a little stumble, but I attribute that to our cool, damp weather (177,000 miles on motor, temperature sensitive like you wouldn't believe!). The only thing now is that I have some gas seeping from around the base of the carb, I tried to re-use the old carb/intake gasket......no luck. I'll have to wait on the missus to come home so I can run in and get a new one. Thanks all and especially thanks Charlie.....we'll see how this thing actually runs......stay tuned/forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
did you go out and get that Pro-Line glass filter? make sure you do that to head off any crud getting back into the bowls in the future....

randy

·
Registered
657 Posts
From the experience I have had with Holley's, this is an opportunity you will get to enjoy many times.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Don't be scared of that Holley. They are the simplest carbs to work on. I have had my 600 for over 15 years and each time something got clogged or leaked on it, it was simple to fix. You should put the re-usable bowl gaskets on it because they don't stick to the carb so you can take it apart many times to fix your problems.

If fixing your leaky base gasket doesnt fix your idle problem, you probably have a piece of dirt stuck in the idle circuit. To fix that, you dont need to take the carb off the car... just take off the front bowl and the metering plate. Leave the rear bowl alone (it is only for your secondaries and has nothing to do with your idle). Take out the power valve and check to see if it's good. Use your air compressor and blow air through every passage on that metering plate. Make sure you take out the idle mixture screws and blow through those too. Then take the air hose to the front of the carb body as well. Don't be afraid to blow the hell out of it, you wont hurt anything. Put it all back together and see if that fixes it. If not, you might need to take it apart and do this a couple of times.

Other things that help these carbs too is a lighter spring in the vacuum secondary pot, and change the accelorator pump cam. These carbs come from the factory set for sea level. So if you are not at sea level, it would probably help to make these changes. Also, do you have the proper jet sizes in it? they also come set for sea level. Just things to check. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I'll rebut that glass fuel filter statement.....anything clear can crack and then you have fuel on your hot engine!!

Yes, damp weather can affect idle....but so can weak ignition and valves that arent sealing so well anymore!!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
say WHAT???????

I have been running the Pro-Line filters for well over 10 years and have NEVER heard of that happening. Of course, if it is mounted incorrectly, like any other engine component, it can be damaged. You run a FAR greater risk of a rubber gas line hose splitting than the Pro-Line filters...

randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts