Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they said that the car was way off and that adding more shims (about 3/4" would not only make it very unsafe but also they would need to add a longer bolts because there was alreaady about 1" on shims on the upper control arms. they really dont think that the suspension is bad (however I have no idea when was last time it was replaced) so they think that maybe the frame is too old and too saggy. AS far as the Toe, they could not adjusted to specs because there was not more threads on the tie rod terminals. HAve you guys experienced any of this situations? how did you solve them? currently the car drives like a ship in storm. not to mention the feeling of the tires that feel like they are about to fall off.
thanks a lot!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Joey, if the car had been wrecked in a previous life, the frame could, indeed be twisted enough to cause alignment problems. I experienced that on my 70 years ago. I finally got it to a body shop and they put it on a frame machine to literally twist it back in to specs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The fact that you currently have 1" of shim pack on the UCA and need another 3/4" indicates that something is VERY wrong! As does the fact that you have no thread left on tie rod ends. I would:

1. Take it to another alignment shop (one preferably with an old-timer who is familiar with these things). If he verifies what you have been told, then:

2. Take it to an autobody shop and have them check the frame alignment. Could be your shock towers are damaged or moving. By any chance are you missing the crossmember from frame rail to frame rail under the engine? That will wreak havoc with your suspension.

It does not sound as thugh the car is safe to drive in its current condition. Be careful!

Tell us what car you have and perhaps someone can take or supply some basic frame dimensions.

Frank

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
You may want to pick up an export brace and montel carlo bar and try installing them to see how out of whack the shock towers are. I think you're not only missing parts but maybe some metal too (rust? shoddy repairs?)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is not telliing how old the suspension parts are, the crossmember is on the car, it currently does not have a montecarlo bar. I think that my best bet is see if someone has and dont mind sharing the basic dimmensions of the front end frame. Its really weird because As the car was up in the rack, we went underneat and It does not look like anything has been bent or hit. But that could just be a lie. I did replace one TIE rod in one side, and the sleeves in both sides, I wonder if I did it incorrectly and that is why the threads are too much off?...

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I did replace one TIE rod in one side, and the sleeves in both sides, ....a good front end alignment guy should've caught that.
Then again maybe not. But who does that contibute to your camber being off so much. Joey it maybe time for a front-end rebuild. Or better yet get a second opinion from some experienced front-end shop. Try one that still has reference books and is not totally computerized.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What kind of car do you have?
You can measure the shock towers with the motor in
and see if they are bent. Have someone who knows
what a Mustang shock tower should look like, look at
it ( local Mustang Club). Measure the monte carlo bar
to see if it has been modified, or is the right length.
A export brace is a good idea for any Mustang. If
nothing can be done other than shock tower repairs.
You can have the shop set both sides to the same
camber setting. 2 to 3deg pos. caster on both sides,
and 1/8" toe in. If the camber and caster settings are
the same on both sides, it will track much better.
You can take the tie rods off, and grind some off the
ends, to make the toe angle possible.

Please fill out your bio.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
How low is the front end ? If the front springs are saggy it will also contribute to needing more camber . Id be betting you shock towers have collapsed but to collapse to that point something sounds funky . Id have to guess each tower has fallen in 3/4" and Id think you would see that on you fender to hood alignment gap becoming small . Check and see if your fenders looked to be adjusted out to the ends of the bolt slots . Like they are forced open . If it's like most mustangs the upper ball joints will be worn .
I would find a good shop to take it to , in fact find the BEST shop around for classic cars . In the time being you can do some measurements on the shock tower and fender aprons to see if something has moved .

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Jay hit the nail right on the head, if your export brace is non-existent, then the shock towers are moving around and are keeping the alignment from being as true as it can be.....

grab an aftermarket export brace and monte carlo bar and install them....
THEN take it to a second shop for an opinion.....

I would also invest some time and money on the vario centric lower control arm kit and some ball joints to bring your front end up to spec...

also have your shock towers checked for cracks....sometimes, binding ball joints and control arm shafts will crack your shock towers....wrecking the alignment...

also check for bent control arms...replacements are quite affordable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not beating a dead horse... I agree, if there are already 1" of shims on the upper control arm, then something's already wrong... Replacing the tie rod ends , even if done wrong, would have no affect on the camber/caster settings. A good alignment shop would be able to tell if your ball joints are bad.. but, this would still not account for the excessive shimming... Something is out, most likely shock towers, since the upper control arms bolt to the bottom area of the tower. Sounds like you will need a trip to a good frame shop.. Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also a perfect excuse to cut out those shock towers and upgrade to that Rod and Custom Mustang II front end kit..... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts