Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my posi chunk is back from the 4x4 shop, I'd love to put it in the housing under my 70 sportsroof....damned stuck axle shaft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just LOVE to get a hold of a 20 or 25 lb. slide hammer to BEAT THE LIVING TAR out of the rusted in axle bearing....getting pb or wd40 into the area is difficult at best

maybe I should just heat it gently.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would go with the heat approach. You probably needed to replace the bearing, retainer and seal anyway.

Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
I hate heating them. Bolt a chain to one lug stud, put something heavy in the chain(I've used cinder blocks, crank damper...) & bolt the other end to another stud & get it on!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
back in the 1960s, one of the popular ways for us "teens" then was to use a good chain attached to two lugs and a driveshaft running through the chain with a guy on each side. On the count of 3, we would both yank back and the offending axle usually gave way after a couple of trys.....

randy

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
How did you get the chunk out with an axle still in the housing?

(Inquiring minds want to know...)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Unbolt the axel from the houseing, bolt the tire/rim back on and use it. Just rock it back and forth untill it comes out.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
OR, use the brake drum on backwards. Probably needs to be replaced anyway.

OR, if the chunk is out of the housing (* you never said it came out of THAT housing*) can you beat on the splined end of the shaft? Obviously you wouldn't want to reuse it, but hey...

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
On the count of 3, we would both yank back and the offending axle usually gave way after a couple of trys.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Must have been funny to watch eh bossman???.....:)

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Kinda reminds me of tryin to yank a baby tooth when I was a lad....

ever try aero kroil??? That stuff works sooooo good.....I have always used that and exhaust bolts have never broken (as an example)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
a more "updated" millenium version is to attach the chain to the rear bumper of a 10 second drag car. Just simply take the motor to redline and drop it in drive, and I am SURE the axle will come loose.

*G*

randy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts