Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the size for the front and the back? Is there only one under the dash? Should I install 2 speakers under the dash? Do I need to buy the kickpannels with the holes in it or can I cut my own? What speakers should I get? Rockford, Pioneer? Can I do this my self?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
On my 65 (now no longer with me).. I put 2 - 3 1/2 inch speakers in the dash. You can make your own mount, or buy them like this.

I now have "kick panel" speakers (in my 68) and I like them much better.

The reason you buy the molded kick panels ones is because,, they are formed so you can fit the speaker in there. I think this is actually worth the $50, it gives you room, and you don't mess up your orig kick panels.

Thats my 'front' install tips.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Go the Kick panel route in the front with a component system (has 6.5 and seperate tweeters with a crossover). Take the tweeters and mount them in the dash where the 3.5 used to go. I think the rear will take a 6x9 in the coupe rear deck. I'd use MB Quart speakers with a real clean amp.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I did a Custom Autosound dual cone 6x9 using a 4x8-6x9 adapter. Not much clearance for the wiper mechanisim. Tons more midrange and bass than the little dual speaker set-up.

If you have AC the dash speaker is a non issue.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
When it comes to any car audio equipment, you get what you pay for. Separate speakers with crossover systems sound better than coaxial speakers. Try a setup like this for good sound. And yes the back seat fits over these (see the seat hooks?)

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/196000-196999/196945_22_full.jpg

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
To answer your last question first, yes, you can do it. If you are comfortable setting up a regular stereo system or a VCR/DVD player, you can install a system in your car.

The answer to the rest of your questions are, "it depends." Lots of options. Search here for "stereo" "speakers" etc Keep in mind you don't necessarily need the back speakers if you do the front setup well. Component speakers, with the tweeters installed in the A-pillars, works really well for front imaging and soundstage.

G

·
0 Posts
u are better off with separates in the front kickpanels and some 4 or 5 way 6x9's in the back...with a nice lil amp that should be plenty .if ur really into some serious sound......ive even stuffed 4- 12inch square kicker subs in my 66 trunk......talk about some serious bass!!! i guess thats y i got all those dbdrag trophies!!!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
6.5 inch separates up front along with the 6.5 inch kick panel speakers...

and go 6x9 inch triaxial speakers in rear...

I'd stick to good brand names like MBQuart, Rockford Fosgate, Polk Audio, Aurasound, Focal, Kicker etc....

use class D amplifiers and good interconnects for no alt whine...

I'd also go with an in dash cd player/changer control....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should I get a bass and amp and mount them in the trunk? Basses are only for rap or are they? Whats a crossover for?
Thanks
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Bass is not only for rap. The bass is the part of the music that you feel...mostly drums. Nothing like listening to rock music through subs!

The cross-overs are to split the signals for speaker separates. Basically 3 types of speakers...Tweeters (for highs), Mids (for mid bass), and Subwoofers (for lows or bass). The crossovers make sure that the correct speakers get the correct frequencies. For example, your subs should be around 40hz to 100hz. If you were to get 1,000hz frequencies through them, it will distort the sound.

Go down to a high-end stereo shop or even just goodguys or circuit city and check some of this stuff out. Or another idea is go to www.crutchfield.com and check it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts