Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 sets of instructions on swapping my idiot lights for 66 gauges. Both instructions seem easy enough till I get wiring the Ammeter. My question is: Can I install the 66 gauges BUT NOT hook up the Ammeter? Could I leave my ALT light hooked up and hide it under the dash in a place I could see it if I had trouble?

Is there a difference between a 65 and a 66 CVU? Can I use the CVU I have on my 65 cluster?

Are 65 and 66 clusters both grounded the same?

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
my guess is the gas and temp guage will work fine. you could probably change out the oil sending unit to the gauge type unit and hoock the oil gauge up as one side of the gauge is the hot wire that was the light and the other side of the gauge goes to the sending unit. there is a polarity to the gauges.

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
I have 2 sets of instructions on swapping my idiot lights for 66 gauges. Both instructions seem easy enough till I get wiring the Ammeter. My question is: Can I install the 66 gauges BUT NOT hook up the Ammeter? Could I leave my ALT light hooked up and hide it under the dash in a place I could see it if I had trouble?

Is there a difference between a 65 and a 66 CVU? Can I use the CVU I have on my 65 cluster?

Are 65 and 66 clusters both grounded the same?
64-66 all use the same CVU.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts