Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I buy a 66 coupe, I get a good deal, I buy parts to restore it. Then?? At work they need overtime coverage, I have been working 70 hours a week while my new found love (66 coupe) sits rusting in the shop I couldn't even finish before I started working like a madman. I have the parts to work with, some of the knowledge to work with, but no time. I was a Camaro fan until I lucked into this little coupe, but that doesnt matter now, I dont have time to read a newspaper much less put in the floor pans I so desperately need. I promise pictures as soon as I cant get time to post them as long as there is no laughing :). I have been lurking around the forums and learning alot about how to do things right, but I finally got a few hours off work, and wanted to rant to a group that would understand. Thank you all, any donations of time and/or experience are greatly appreciated. Personally I think KKettell has one of the most beautiful pieces of Detroit steel you could ask for, but dodgestang also has a very interesting machine I would like to copy. Too bad I couldnt find a fastback. Anyway thanks for letting me gripe, this is the only website where I think people are grown up enough to understand having a nice project and no time to work on it. P.S. is it illegal to kill your boss for making you work too much? Can I get offf on an insanity plea? Will the insanity plea work if the judge is a Camaro fan? There is just too much to lose without knowing the answers to these questions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to mention, I work 12 hour shifts, and I live an hour each way from work. There is nothing worse after a 12 hour work shift than an hour long commute in heavy traffic. ROAD RAGE???? No sir officer, I really thought the speed limit was 150 mph. By the way, those expensive Valentine One radar detectors, they aren't worth crap :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
and I live an hour each way from work.
That's Dallas for you. No matter where you live, everything else is an hour away. ;)
I lived there back in the 80s. I had forgotten.

Of course, here I am in an entirely different city and it still takes me an hour to get to work. You'd think I would've learned by now. ::

·
Registered
884 Posts
Quit your bitchen. My business interest, kids growing up, kids going to college,ect, it took 26 years to get to work on my covertible. Its completed now,( 26 months of hard work) with the exception of the seat belts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"I was a Camaro fan " maybe thats why your boss makes you work so hard. tell him you need time to work in your classic mustang :)
its a much more respectable way to ask for time off, unless its a medical emergency of course, ie the mustang needs an engine quick or something ...have fun, or change jobs....laterz..
Steve

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
It never fails. If you have the money, you don't have the time and if you do have the time, you don't have the money.

I had my 65 fastback for almost 11 years before I started the resto process which I had just completed about a year ago. It took me almost two years to finish it.

Hang in there. Just bank some of the OT money for some nice performance parts for your new toy.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
RTM is correct, i have all the time in the world but no money :0)

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
It takes a lot of money and time to do 'em. Be patient, if you can. It took me 3 years to get mine done - and that was farming out a lot of work too!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If this is just temporary, you can watch for the light at the end of the tunnel. If it';s permanent, you may want ot think about that saying of how no one ever on their death bed ever says "I should have sent more time at the office."
:(
I was in your shoes for two and a half years. Making big bucks, but being tired and cranky all the time with no time to do the stuff I enjoy. My stuffy co-irkers would tell me to just HIRE someone to work on the car, do my gardening, and all the other things I love to do.

They didn't understand that to me that's the same as saying "why don't ya hire someone to go out and have fun for you since you don't have the time."

I hated and resented that job for about two years and three months of the 2.5 I worked there. The convertible just sat under the car cover, the coupe was at least running, but that was all and my yard looked like s&%t.

So in June I quit (and gave back the company car) to take a job making much less money (30% less), but only working a 40 our week.

I do not regret it at all.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Here's my story...bought this heap of crap fastback from a divorcee in Texas. So unsafe I wouldn't drive it home. Paid another guy to risk his life instead. Got it home okay (no brakes on car - 250 miles on back roads). Didn't want eyesore on driveway so took down fence and pushed it into my back yard. Six months later SWMBO says, "Your wreck is settling into the yard, are you sure you're not trying to plant it there?" I tether it to a long set of wires (like a remote control model airplane) and "drive it" onto my patio. I put the car on blocks and it sat there for another six months. SWMBO says, "When are you planning to work on that wreck? I want you to take it to the salvage yard or start working on it!" After that I moved it into the garage (my trophy winning '98 had to start sitting out in the rain ::). I then gave up my favorite TV programs, football watching, and headed out to the garage each day (about an hour each day). This continued for three long years before the car started looking like something SWMBO wanted to be seen in. Finally when it started looking like something, she started pushing me to finish it. How much more money? How much more time? Are you going to have it ready for the spring show? The fall show? I learned something from the effort...never try restoring a car in a double car garage! Never allow SWMBO to park her Explorer next to your project car! Never restore an old car, buy one already restored instead!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ah, another Texan! Welcome aboard. Don't get too discouraged, you'll find some time eventually.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts