Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it must have been my lucky day. I actually received a warning instead of a a speeding ticket!
I was traveling along a state road 40...floridians you know this lonely road. Right as the county cop passed me I knew it. 74 mph in a 65 zone.
I just pulled over and waited for him to turn around and come back. Being ready with all the applicable paper work...."do you know why I pulled you over?" (funny at this point my car was already off and i'm stopped ::) I said yep I was speeding ..hmm I'd say about 68...cop says more like 74 . " Ok cool I'm guilty. " The whole time my family is dying to bust out laughing. I just smiled and was refraining from being cocky or pissed. After about 5 minutes the cop comes back up and ask where we are going and where we are from....this would surely cause me to get the ticket. Being out of town and speeding and having a radar detector! But the cop says well today is your lucky day...."I'm giving you a warning" ..I still don't feel right about it. He even told me to have a good day and enjoy the attractions. :: I didn't have a good reason or anything. Most of the time I have a good reason for exceeding the limit and I still get a ticket.
I'm going to frame that warning...for some reason I think it will be my one and only... ::

G

·
0 Posts
Gees, the cops down in Florida must suck. Up here in PA, the only thing that the law is loose about is speeding and some other traffic related laws. Heck, in that sixty-five zone, I probably coulda been doing 85, and a cop going the other direction wouldn't have bothered. Maybe one waiting on the side, but one on the side wouldn't have cared about 80.

Another question is why you pulled over for the cop...you could've just kept going your merry way, taken the next turn, and the cop wouldn't have been able to do anything about it...if he did get up to you, of course pull over, but otherwise, for all you know he got a call while he was traveling along, and had to get there fast.

Just my opinion, so, whatever.

~Gowrons

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thats nothing compared to me and my uncles luck this summer. We wer crusing through business 31 in Niles, Michigan, in his yellow '79 camaro, a pretty sweet car for being a chevy. Anyways, we stop at a light, and some idiot in a firebrid. This guy starts revving his engine. Now, my uncle is not one to back down from a challenge, so he reved his engine, and as soon as the light turned green, we were gone. So we just blowed this guy away, and we had to be doin about 75, in a 45 zone, when we look over to the side of the road, and theres two niles cops sitting there. So were thinking oh $hit. So they pull us over, and the cop comes up to my uncle and says, "son, do you know why I pulled you over?" and my uncle says, "yes sir, i do". The cop then says, "well, what were you thinking?" to which my uncle says, "well, sir, i was thinking i could beat him." The officer just chuckled and told us to take the car home and that he didnt want to see it out for a week. We got pretty lucky, in the state of michigan, they can take your car away for street racing, and youll never see it again. So id say we got pretty lucky.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
PA state law... A police officer cannot tag you for speeding by radar if he is traveling in the opposite direction, across the road. Ohio, I know they can get you for it, not sure about anywhere else... I just know, that is why you see PA state troopers parked on teh side of the road, and not constantly looping a section of highway. They also must have eitehr reflective tape tha tis in full view of the oncoming traffic, or have their parking lights on. If they don't, then they can't nail you for speeding at night. PA is pretty relaxed about speeding, as long as it isn't residential area and local police, then, it's a totally different story.

I got ticketed for going 69 in a 60 in WV, and had several written warnings for going (69 in a 45, and 78 in a 55) both were in PA, by PA state police. Also, if the officer looses sight of your vehicle while pursuing, he cannot rightfully ticket you, and have it hold up in court, unless he has video of your car, with a clear view of the liscence plate.

I have gotten out of a ticket for that before, in my SHO Taurus. (the only car that could go 140 mph with 5 full size adults comfortably seated inside)

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
like i said all the times I've deserved a warning I never got one.
I had a cop bust thru the median (which was a small flooded river at the time) in a Jimmy. He followed the stang for a mile then pulled up and gave me the lights. My speedo was off by 10 mph and I was unaware I was in a construction zone.
I was cool and calm but this guy was a jackass..of course I let him know about that. When I was handed the ticket I had my lil 3 year girl (@the time) who was sweating because of the lengthy wait in the hot florida sun....I had her say "thanks for the ticket! And have a nice day" That cop felt about 3 inches high when he walked away. ::

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Florida is definately a police state.
When I lived there for a few years I had my first 65 fastback. I was pulled over at least 5 times with it.
Never got a ticket, always a warning. I think they just liked the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I traveled through Florida last, I didn't see a single cop. I was on the last leg of my trip to Daytona Beach, and we had just passed through J'ville on I-95. My cruise control was set on 100mph, and there were people FLYING past us. I think I saw a Ferrari pass us, but it was dark and the car was really gettin' it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did you have a pocket full of 4 leaf clovers and a couple of rabbit's feet on your keychain? I got 2 tickets in 3 months. Of course, I got 2 warnings before that! Took the defensive driving for the first ticket, had to beg for the 2nd to be deferred. I've got to be good til Jan. 28 and then it goes away. I'm getting awfully tired of driving slow! I can't get ANY kind of ticket in the city until Jan or it all goes on my record.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've had luck with the immediately pulling over technique here in Colorado with the state troopers. Seems they like not having to chase you. Most recent one - the cop was sitting by the side of the road and I flew by doing at least 80-85 in a 65. When I saw him hit the lights, I pulled over right away. He never had to enter traffic, just cruised up the shoulder and told me to slow it down.

The home state of PA is a different story. Before the speed limit changed to 65, there used to be big billboards when you entered the State from Ohio and New York that said "PA is STILL 55." You could count on at least 2 troopers hiding behind the billboard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts