Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our annual SCCA region awards banquet last night. When they draw for the door prizes, I'm traditionally drawn near the end, after all of the good stuff is gone. To my extreme surprise and delight, the third name out of the hat was mine. I marched straight to the table and laid hands on one of the three dyno sessions donated by a local shop. I'll have to let them know that I won't be in til next spring because my insurance runs out for the season tomorrow, but what fun! I'll finally have some idea of what I've really got, and maybe be able to do a bit of tweaking with some prospect of knowing if it really works. I've never done anything like this before. Anybody have any suggestions on how to prepare in order to make best use of this manna from heaven?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
How many pulls are in a session? If several, maybe you can stock up on some jets and be prepared to change them if the first pull finds the A/F ratio way off.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'll tell you this, dyno sessions are a humbling experience. Especially if you don't have the 450 RWHP everyone thinks they have ;)

Chaz

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I have NO illusions about what I will find out. If we start with a factory rating at the flywheel of 220 bhp (SAE gross) for a stock 302 2V, then add my 4100, mild cam of unknown specs, .060 overbore, and hipo manifolds/dual exhaust, there might be something like 270 bhp there. Convert that to SAE net, the way they count them today, and its probably more like 225 or so. Get this pile of assumptions and guesses to the rear wheels, and it almost certainly won't crack 200, with perhaps 225-250 ft-lbs of torque. If I can take several pulls and tease a bit more out of it by fiddling with jets and timing, I'll be delighted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts