Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the Mustang heading over to visit a mate this morning and noticed a garage sale at a house on the way.
Though I may as well check it . So I pulled up out side and headed in .
The bloke holding the sale noticed my car and we had a bit of a chin wag. ( I'm known as" HAVE -A CHAT" I'll talk to anyone )So anywho, he suggests he may have some thing I might be interested in having a look at .
Turns out he and his son have a couple of Mustangs . He has a fully loaded light blue 65-66(not sure which) GT connie. He says it is one of only 300. Not sure if he means that combo of colour and options or that there only 300 65-66 GT connies.
His son has a very nice 66 black connie with red and white pony. He reckons that is a rear combo as well . Don't know about . But a very sweet car.
Then I notice a totally dissassemble 69 S/R . The story is that it was Factory 428SCJ built for the drags . Never registered . Tubed from the factory (fits 13" wide wheels under the guards). Was factory yellow. Something about off set rear end ? Any body know anything about such cars ?
He also said that ALL 428 SCJ were 4 speeds .
Turns out the father often goes to the states, travels around in a motor home with a covered car trailer and buys any good stuff he comes across.
I have driven past that house a million times , well 10 times at least , and never new what was hidden there .

They seemed like very nice blokes who knew what they were talking about . I'll be droping in to watch progress on the 69.

·
Registered
766 Posts
MMM! Sounds like a great story about the SCJ, But one thing for sure all SCJ weren't all manual's they came with auto's as well! And I can't say for sure the factory tubbed the race car's? And he must mean staggered rear shocks, they came on all manual cars. So don't belleive everything you hear!!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I think he meant staggered rear shocks, which were present on all 428 Mustangs in '69-'70 (possibly all years, but these are the only ones I know about). If you are unfamiliar with the term, it meant that the shock on the passenger side mounted in front of the rear axle while the driver side rear shock mounted behind it (or vice-versa, but you get the point).

According to the Mustang Recognition Guide all rear-end ratio's, including those that defined a car as a drag-pack car (SCJ), were available for both 4-speed and automatic transmissions.

With regard to the convertibles, I assume they must have been discussing the rarity of their particular color or option combinations, although I can't imagine how they could know that since all production records were destroyed. I assume they are basing that on not having seen many in their travels. Honestly, I've never seen a black exterior, red-and-white interior combination myself. The light blue one, though, is probably fairly common unless it has rare options for '65-'66 such as stereophonic 8-track, remote trunk release, or something like that.

In any event, it's always nice to find fellow enthusiasts in the neighborhood and these sound like ones who are good to know. Get your shopping list ready for the next scavenging trip! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Staggered rear shocks only came on 428 cars equipped with a 4-speed transmission. Cars with automatics had the "regular" setup.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I used the Mustang Recognition Guide as my source, but I think I misinterpreted it. It's true that all 428 Mach 1's had the staggered shocks because they were part of the competition suspension that was standard on the 428 Mach 1's and GT's.

However, AussieMustang was referring to a SportsRoof and the competition suspension might have to have been ordered separately. Either way, there is no distinction made between standard and automatic transmissions in terms of the competition suspension.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
hate to step in on this, but it is true that only 4-speed equiped 428 cars came with the staggered shock setup, similar to what all Boss cars came with. Regardless of what the recognition guide says, the flip-flopped shock setup was only installed on 4 speed cars, however, I am sure a few autos with the staggered shock setup "mistakenly" made past the bean-counters eyes......

randy

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Actually, this conversation raises an interesting question. What is the definitive source for this type of information? If generally recognized sources such as Mustang Recognition Guide contain errors (and they all do, I'm sure), where does one go to get reliable information?

I've heard others on this forum take issue with "experts" such as Bob Perkins, but he is also considered an oracle of correct information by many in the hobby. How do we know that someone's erroneous opinion isn't becoming the gospel? For example, what sources have you and SAH62, or the 428 websites for that matter, relied on for this particular question (not to be read as a challenge, but as a legitimate query toward how we obtain and come to accept information as valid)?

Sounds like a mission for the MCA, should they choose to accept it. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
good questions!!! I will do some "independent" research, but recall that I got my info straight from the Ford shop manuals for 69 and 70 (both 5 volume sets) that states the 4 speed cars and Boss cars came with a staggered shock setup to "reduce wheelhop and windup from hard acceleration with the 4 speed manual transmission". I have looked at literally hundreds of 69 and 70 CJ cars over the 25+ years I have been in the Mustang hobby and do not recall ever seeing an automatic equiped 428 car with the staggered shock setup, however, as I indicated before, mistakes have been made. Most of the time, it has been the mistake of eliminating something that was supposed to be there rather than adding something that wasnt intended to be there.

randy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts