Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a car show in Pemberville, Ohio visiting with another 66 Mustang owner. He mentioned about swapping his I6 six with a 90-93 Mustang 5.0. Is there a reason he'd pick those years for a reason? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Well, probably because those are fuel injected, high performance motors STOCK. The 89-93 5.0 HO is regarded as one of the hottest motors to ever come stock in a Mustang, and is EASILY hopped up to insane power levels while leaving the bottom end alone .

They're also relatively common and easy to come by.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright. Thanks alot. Would that engine swap be the most economical one to do?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Alright. Thanks alot. Would that engine swap be the most economical one to do?
It depends on too many factors. The most economical plan would be to keep your current 6 and do some upgrades. If you want a V8, then you need to replace your front spindles and steering system to V8 spec, and upgrade your rear end to an 8" or 9". You're current radiator, tranny and driveshaft also need to be changed along with the motor mounts, cooling lines, accelerator linkage, etc... There is quite a bit involved. If you are mechanical inclined, you have a better chance at holding the costs at bay. If you have to pay someone to do everything for you, put a for sale sign in the window and look for a V8 car, you'll be thousands ahead that way.

Al

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I second what Al said. As a die hard I6 guy, I'd say leave the I6 in there and just save up your money until you can afford a real V-8 car. You'll come out ahead in the long run. Have fun with the I6, there is a lot you can do with it.

Slade

1 - 5 of 5 Posts