Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to get a set of granada disc breaks and need to know what I still need.

I have a 66 I6 fastback with manual steering. I have already done the MC and portioning valve. I got the tie rod ends but they are torn and need replacing.

The one thing I have seen is talk about the ball joints being too small. Is this upper and lower? Can the V8 ball joints be put into the I6? I know Mustangsteve has some converters but would rather replace the ball joints if thats an option.

James

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
IMHO, I think the ball joints will be OK. The only time you run into that prob is when you have Versaille spindles.
I think the I6 tie rods will be too small and need bushings, unless you change out your drag link, inner and outer tie rods and adjusting sleeves for V8

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Basically, nothing is going to bolt up... upper ball joints, lower ball joints etc. Everything on the I-6 suspension is smaller!

Now, if you use converters for every joint it would be fine, but I personaly wouldn't feel safe with it. Of course, I tend to drive my car A LOT harder than most....

If you've ever thought about rebuilding your suspension now's the time to do it with V8 suspension parts. Another option is to use SSBC's I-6 disc brake conversion. I believe it came out a little while ago.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
My bad on the upper and lower ball joints. Guess I should look at the parts catalog before spitting out I-6 info, lol

G

·
0 Posts
been there - done that.

The ball joint will work, but since you have it torn down replace them with new ones.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The only prob is steering.. you will need to replace the pitman arm, idler arm/possibly bracket too, center link, inner tierods and sleeves to V8 parts then use the granada outter tierods.. 64-66 UCA/LCA's are the same I6-V8.. MustangPlus makes nice adaptor lines fotr the granada brakes, or you can make your own.. Since you are taking everything apart it is a perfect time to go a little further and rebuild that suspension to match the nice new brakes..

AJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts