Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would this work?

I have an I-6 right now that really would like another radiator. I'm wondering if I get a 3 or 4 core radiator if it will work for my eventual 5.0 swap. I'm unsure but I was thinking that if the flow was reversed for the waterpump for the 5.0 and if I recall the 6cyl radiator is opposite of the V-8, would the 6CYL radiator then work without having to have the hose positions moved?

I'm just wanting to keep my current car running as well as possible with minimal loss in investment for my 5.0 swap.

Slade

·
Registered
576 Posts
I had put an 87 5.0 in my car. It was originally a I6. Both top and bottom inlets were opposite on the 6 cyl so I went and bought a new radiator anyway. The way I look at it, a 6 cyl radiator is for cooling a 6 cyl car. An 8 will run much hotter, and taking the chance of overheating every warm day isn't worth it. Good Luck!

·
Administrator
19,358 Posts
I did something similar on my car. I'm also keeping a 6 on like support until the V8 stuff is ready.
I went ahead and got the radiator I wanted and put it in. I had some radiator hoses around and went to the junkyard and picked up as many interesting ones I could find. (0 $) I also had some bits and pieces of PVC pipe and fittings left over from a plumbing project. No-it's not what you're thinking!
I took all this crap and some hose clamps and made a pair of hoses that worked. I paid particular attention to the size of the openings required on each end. After Frankensteining them up to my satisfaction I took them to a cooperative local parts store and said "I want one each of these!" The upper hose was easy. The lower one was a booger, but I ended up getting one for an '81 V6 Citation(or something). One end was belled out, but after I trimmed it back about 2 inches it fit perfectly. They had a LOT of really weird hoses to choose from.
It worked for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts