Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my old pitman arm. To install the new one I guess the wheel has to be turned from lock to lock while counting. Then divide by 2 to get the center position?

How do I get toe close? When I replaced my old steering I just measured the old tie rod length. Made the new ones the same length. But, now the V8 tie rods are in a different position. Any tips.

I am using Global West steel tie rod sleeves. Should I use anti-seize?

All the new parts are already purchased and ready to install. Pitman arm to roller idler arm and bracket.

Anything else I should know??

·
Premium Member
11,463 Posts
I'm 99% sure that there is one extra wide spline on the sector shaft and one extra wide groove in the pitman arm so there is only one way the pitman arm will fit on the sector shaft.

Use a tape measure to measure the distance from the center of each front tire to the center of the other tire at the 3:00 o'clock (or as close to 3:00 as possible) and then measure from center-to-center at the 9:00 o'clock position. The 3:00 measurement should be about 1/8" less than the 9:00 measurement.

A/S won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Same advice as described above... Only thing I would add is to obviously make sure the steering wheel is exactly in the position you want it for straight-ahead driving when you connect to the arm (I ended up having to R&R the wheel to rotate it about 5 degrees after I was done).

I used clamps to fasten pieces of bar stock to each wheel, then measured the distance between the front and back sides of the wheels. Came pretty close that way. Also, if you're replacing the LCAs make sure you don't tighten them until after the car is supporting it's own weight (found that out the hard way on one side as well).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts