Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autozone has the kit on sale for about $6 cheaper than Mothers. Has anyone tried it? Any pointers?

Thanks,
Dave.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I wash the car with Dawn first, specifically to strip any wax or grease before starting.

Keep the paint wetted with the quick detailer. Buy extra quick detailer spray. Work a 1'x1' to 2'x2' section at a time. Rinse between sections with plain water.

If you drop the clay bar, throw it away.

As a result of the prior, cut it into thirds or so. You can keep kneading it and exposing fresh surface and even using it when it "looks dirty" from the car paint contaminants. But if you drop it, throw it away.

Before you start, put your hand in a sandwich bag, hit the paint with the QD spray and drag your finger in the bag lightly on the paint. Do the same after clay barring the area and you'll feel the difference.

You don't need (and don't want) to use hard pressure. Just lightly drag it down the wetted paint over and over. (Not super light, but about as you'd pet a medium sized dog.)

Above all, if you drop the clay (and you will), throw it away. Trust me on that one.

With the Dawn wash, the clay bar, and a followup Dawn wash, you'll be in great shape to stay laying down whatever polish and protectants you like.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If you're talking about the Ice liquid clay bar, I've used and love it! Much easier and faster than the traditional clay bar process, with the same results IMHO.

To clarify, I didn't even bother to use the solid bar as I found the liquid performed as well as the competitor's solid bar. I had polishing swirls in the paint that I wanted to get rid of. Use of the bar might provide even better results, but I stopped when I had the results I was after.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys!

I went ahead and bought the kit, it was only $14 and it comes with both the Clay bar and lube and the Liquid clay. I will defintly cut the bar up.
Thinking maybe use the bar on the top surfaces and use the liquid on the sides.

Thanks again for the info!
Dave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts