So far, I have close to 20 hours in fabricating the ground effects (gf) kit for the 65 coupe. For those of you new to the post topic, I hammered the gf rails from an old ice machine lid I found in my Dad's refrigeration boneyard. I didn't want to spend $400 for the kit from Mustangs Plus. However, I have a little over $100 in supplies for this project, such as glue (Fuzor 108B -- 3 tubes at $32 each:
, fiberglass gell, foam, undercoating, primer and sandpaper. The sheetmetal was free!
Some of the pics below are the "pre-mounting" processes which I installed tabs to the rails, filled the voids with foam, glass and undercoating. I also had to deal with the weephole issue under the rocker bottoms. I cleaned a bunch of old dirt from the rear holes and found a 22 cal shell casing in there! The PO must have been rabbit hunting with the stang in a previous life. So I had to mash the louvers shut, drill them out and glue some down-tubes in so they will pass through the gf rails. I will trim the tubes and install some new louvers to the gf rails.
Then I glued and riveted the rails to the car. As expected, there were mismatches which will need to be addressed with fiberglass. However, I'm happy with how they are turning out and am looking forward to the finishing stages. There is alot of work ahead, but the hard part of fabrication is virtually over.
I hope to have the "bodywork" on the rails done and in primer in time for the local cruise in this coming Friday PM. Coupled with spraying at work, stacking hay at the farm amongst other things, its a tall order.
Ground Effects Rails With Mounting Tabs Glued On
Expanded Foam Used To Fill The Voids
Layer Of Fiberglass Resin Gel Over Top Of Foam
Coat Of Rubber Undercoating Over Glass To Seal The Insides
Rocker Bottom Weep Holes Modified With Drip Tubes So Rails Will Fit Properly
Ground Effects Rails Glued/Riveted On Right Side- Blocks/Jacks Hold Till Glue Sets
View Of Driver Side Rear "Flarelet" - Pretty Stealthy!