Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I know this one might be a little off topic, but I need some help. My pal just bought a 50's Ford panel with a later style Ford diff. Can anyone here identify it or offer a website where I could ID it through the tag numbers?
Thanks, Greg
Resized_20200121_163310_001_1924.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you brother, got just the right info there.
Would you say this is considered a good diff. for the application. My friend intends to run between 400-500 horsepower street engine, with an auto trans.
Greg

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
worthless gear ratio, and fairly weak rear- not that it couldn't be used, but you'll probably want to upgrade the gears and axles for that kind of power. Are you using a coil spring set up, or leaves? I think this is a coil sprung axle, right?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It may have been, I don't know for sure. It looks to have the ears from a four link set up originally. It is currently hung with leaf springs. Seems to function fine.

·
Premium Member
10,323 Posts
Would you say this is considered a good diff. for the application. My friend intends to run between 400-500 horsepower street engine, with an auto trans.
I would say no. It's an 8.5" pegleg with 28 spline axles and an undesirable gear ratio. I'd be looking in the junk yard for a '91-'00 Explorer which will have an 8.8" (lots of available gear ratios) possibly with a Traction-Lok and 31 spline axles. '91-'95 will have drum brakes, '96-'01 will have disc brakes. Look for a door tag decoder online and print it then take it to the junk yard and you won't even need to crawl underneath to check the tag on the rear end. I know that D4 on the door tag is a 3.73 Traction-Lok with 31 spline axles. The P-N-P junk yards around here usually have at least 10 of those Explorers in stock. You shouldn't have to pay more than $250 for the complete rear end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts