Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had vintage Mustangs for a long time. 1964 through 1968s. I've accumulated some parts but used, sold or traded the ones I knew which model year they went to. I have a PS center link, right tie rod, idler arm, control valve and power cylinder that I can't figure out what model year it came off of. The control valve says 217 on it. and the Idler arm has 8912 stamped into the mounting bracket. The power cylinder can be used on multiple years, I believe. I posted some pictures. Maybe an expert out there can ID it. I would appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I've had vintage Mustangs for a long time. 1964 through 1968s. I've accumulated some parts but used, sold or traded the ones I knew which model year they went to. I have a PS center link, right tie rod, idler arm, control valve and power cylinder that I can't figure out what model year it came off of. The control valve says 217 on it. and the Idler arm has 8912 stamped into the mounting bracket. The power cylinder can be used on multiple years, I believe. I posted some pictures. Maybe an expert out there can ID it. I would appreciate it.
Tom,

The unit is 67-70 Mustang (Really can't tell by Picture if actually a 67 68 69, or 70).

Yes the 70 is nearly identical to the 67-69 except the Tie Rod pins are a little bigger, and of course the hole for the Tie Rods are larger as well. Diameter of the Centerlink is also a bit bigger.

If quessing, I'm bet it being a 67-69, Looks like diameter of centerlink is the early one.

Clean the end cap on the control valve. There will be numbers, letters on it.

Will start with a number (6 , 7, 8, 9, or a 0), next will be a letter A-M (January through Dec--I not included), next a number 1-31 (Day of month), next A,B,C (Shift built on).

Example 7 C 21 A Means March 21, 1967 8-4 shift

If the cap is the original, you can answer your own question, Be glad to help if needed.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
734 Posts
If it is from a 67-68 then I would say 390, based on the P/S Hose Insulator Bracket. the Upper Pressure hose looks like 1970 351C which would have also used the Big-block Insulator. Like Dan said above, the 70 used Larger Tie-rod Ends, which those do look like in the pictures. My Guess is that it is from a 1970 351C car, just a guess from the pictures.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom,

The unit is 67-70 Mustang (Really can't tell by Picture if actually a 67 68 69, or 70).

Yes the 70 is nearly identical to the 67-69 except the Tie Rod pins are a little bigger, and of course the hole for the Tie Rods are larger as well. Diameter of the Centerlink is also a bit bigger.

If quessing, I'm bet it being a 67-69, Looks like diameter of centerlink is the early one.

Clean the end cap on the control valve. There will be numbers, letters on it.

Will start with a number (6 , 7, 8, 9, or a 0), next will be a letter A-M (January through Dec--I not included), next a number 1-31 (Day of month), next A,B,C (Shift built on).

Example 7 C 21 A Means March 21, 1967 8-4 shift

If the cap is the original, you can answer your own question, Be glad to help if needed.

Dan @ Chockostang
Thanks Dan. I'll look. What I need is to sell this setup so I can buy a 65 6 cylinder setup.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Thanks Dan. I'll look. What I need is to sell this setup so I can buy a 65 6 cylinder setup.
No Problem, I Trade as well.

Yes, Mag maybe right, had to tell---One thing for sure his observation of the hose placement is correct!! Good Job.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Problem, I Trade as well.

Yes, Mag maybe right, had to tell---One thing for sure his observation of the hose placement is correct!! Good Job.

Dan @ Chockostang
The closest I can tell the numbers are 1 SN 217 B9. The 1 could be a 7, the S could be a 8 or a 6 or a 5, and the B could also be an 8.

Yes I would be interested in a trade in for a 65 6 cylinder setup. I'll PM you.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts