Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this Mustang a few years ago. It was wrecked and the frame may be slighty bent. 289 with auto..nothing special but I might be able to get it cheap..$500 or so...worth it or am I a maniac to think of taking on such an obvious parts car? Interior is ok, everthing else looks ok. What year is it? Been so long, I forgot!

Thanks!

Maniac!
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/HemiDavid/Random/DSCF0098Small.jpg

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
$500...you can make money by parting it out if the metal is good. Somebody is always looking for glass, a block, and tranny.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

But what about as a restoration candidate? A frame shop could straighten it quick enough...worth tackling? My niece has always wanted one and her husband and I could do this one for her....maybe!

Maniac!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Where are the inner fender aprons and radiatior support? You don't normally lose these as part of an accident...

If the drivers side inner apron is missing, so is the VIN.

Has this car been "picked over"? If so, you may want to steer clear of this one as a restoration candidate.

·
Premium Member
7,551 Posts
You can see where the cowl has collasped due to the impact. Pretty well means the frame is way toast at this point, and has a high probability that the left side has buckled also. Since this is a 40+ year old car, when it is put on a frame machine, and pulled, it may pull apart before it pulls back to straight.

I would look at this car more from a parts stand point than a fixer upper. If the doors are rust and dent free, they could be worth a good sum by themselves.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
We have customers coming in with a title and a baggie of rust stating how they're going to restore this classic Mustang! We also don't have people bringing us parts cars anymore. We used to pick up parts cars on a regular basis. Now, everything is being restored. Good for me I guess!
LOL!
Thanks, Doc

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Mustangerbob1 said:
You can see where the cowl has collasped due to the impact. Pretty well means the frame is way toast at this point, and has a high probability that the left side has buckled also.
Where is the cowl collapsed? I see the remains of the pass fender buckled but I can't see the cowl damage, the windshield looks intact too which is a good sign.

Before buying this car open the hood up and look more closely on what has happened and how much damage there is. The inner fenders and radiator support aren't hard to replace but do get an idea of how much damage there is and what parts the car will need.

The car overall looks decent and savable. I've seen things worse that have been brought back but you have to be realistic with your ability to fix the car.

Like mentioned above, if you can get the car for $500 or so and wind up selling parts off it you may be able to buy another car with the profit.

Could you get us more close up pics of the damage?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
its a 65 and IMHO it looks worth saving. If not, you could easily get your money back by parting it out

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The car hasn't been picked over. It's complete except for the parts you can see missing. I din't even take a pic of the back because it was all there. Doors open and close. Interior is complete.

I don't think the cowl is buckled. I remember being surpised when the guy said the frame was bent because the car looked ok to me.

Can't get more pics right now...I'm 'out of town' so to speak. :p Maybe in April!! :eek:

So what is the VIN issue with this car if the inner apron is missing?

Thanks!!

Maniac!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Maniac said:
Saw this Mustang a few years ago. It was wrecked and the frame may be slighty bent. 289 with auto..nothing special but I might be able to get it cheap..$500 or so...worth it or am I a maniac to think of taking on such an obvious parts car? Interior is ok, everthing else looks ok. What year is it? Been so long, I forgot!

Thanks!

Maniac!
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/HemiDavid/Random/DSCF0098Small.jpg
That car is not worth saving even if it for the price of on the house IMHO. Unless that car is rare (like a K code) the amount of money you would spend straightening the frame alone plus the $500 initial investment can get you a much better project car (one that will not have a salvage title or repaired frame damage).

Spend 2-3 grand and get a car actually worth restoring.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Blue ribbon for YeloMustang, Mustangs dont have frames. They are unibody thus they have frame rails as part of the body. I cant see severe damage in the pic.
I see at least $500 in parts, glass and doors. I bet you could get it for less than 500.
You would want to inspect the things mentioned in earlier posts. If its complete less hood, fender and raidator support, it may make a good restoration.
IMHO

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
That looks like a helluva parts car. Easily over $500 in usable parts if the interior is in reasonable shape.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Buy the coupe next to it also. They are getting harder to find and the quarter windowa are worth $$. As for the '65 I see a little bend up near the cowl also. If you decide it is too much of a project it will be worth more in parts than what you pay for it. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yelostang said:
Also agree, if the driver front apron is gone, so goes the visible vin that gives the car it's legal identity.
To me, THAT would be the deciding factor if it is a resto candidate or a parts car. I will get back over there and see what it has and how cheap I can get it. I may end up just buying parts...what are the most valuable parts on this thing aside form the vent windows?

thanks everyone!!

Maniac!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
what are the most valuable parts on this thing aside form the vent windows?
Items that aren't rusted and are not in reproduction usually do well. End caps, headlight doors/buckets, stainless glass trim, door window trim/window stops, seat frames, interior panels, headliner bows, decklid hinges/tension rods, brake/clutch pedals/support....

It's a pretty long list of things.

Good luck!

Dave

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
TJH said:
As for the '65 I see a little bend up near the cowl also.
That looks like the remains of the fender to me. The cowl does not extend all the way to the edge of car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts