Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a photo of a Playboy Playmate at Al Grillo Ford in Massachusetts in June of 1968. The playmate is Michelle Hamilton - that part is easy! But, what is this Mustang? The sloping body line at the nose is different from anything I've seen. Also, check out the point at the rear of the quarter panel. It must be a concept car, but I have not been able to find any other pictures of a Mustang of this style.

6BC558D8-96FC-4798-8F66-20247FDF3C28.jpg

·
Registered
10,526 Posts
It is a custom and, to me, it is based on the 1968 Mustang 2+2

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
In the 60s there were a lot of custom kits and conversions you could buy. Want a Mustang Pickup, 4 door Mustang! Removable roof, yes they were all available. Very few survived.

The one you picture reminds me of a Torino.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe, 289
33 Posts
In the 60s there were a lot of custom kits and conversions you could buy. Want a Mustang Pickup, 4 door Mustang! Removable roof, yes they were all available. Very few survived.

The one you picture reminds me of a Torino.
Now that you say it, I can see where the nose meets the front quarter and hood. Easy to see why few survived.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Not seeing any signs of bumpers, front or rear in the photo either.

·
Premium Member
6,972 Posts
...and the reflection of white stripes of the red GT500KR parked next to it in the puddle underneath.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Looks pretty similar to a mach 1 concept car.

·
Premium Member
6,972 Posts
@Randolph2112 and @Helmantel , you both may be onto something identifying these cars.
I said red, but that may be orange after looking at other reds in the photo. Both may be concept cars. @ClevelandMach1 Very cool photo!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Interesting! As is the rest of your site (that I have vidited several times over the years)

Somehow, Al Grillo is the perfect name for a flamboyant car dealer who got involved with the mafia 😀

·
Registered
10,526 Posts
For a brief second, I actually thought we were going to give credit to where the photo came from...

regardless the car behind the green car is a rare 1968, orange Shelby, but not #3206. It is Shelby serial number 3405.

the green car in the foreground is a custom car built by Grillo Ford. It is not a Ford creation.

www.thecoralsnake.com/Grillo
Thanks very much for the link. The Grillo story is fascinating.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Great read about Grillo Ford, interesting times back in the day that's for sure. Thank you for the link.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
None of the cars in these links have the half dollar marker light on the rear quarter extension. Was each custom different?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts