Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Idea for Brighter Taillights...

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Dan66 
#1 ·
I know we now have brighter bulbs available for our taillights, and a fresh silver paint job in the taillight housings always helps... but has anyone ever just had the housings chrome plated? Looks like that mirror finish would make even a standrad bulb a lot brighter.

Ever seen it done? And would anybody have a guess of how expensive it would be?

Thanks!

#3 ·
When I cleaned mine out, I sprayed some chrome Rustoleum paint in the housings and the lights were nice and visible compared to before the paint. Of course now I am a PO, so I bet the new owners are cursing me about something.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G
#7 ·
Sorry to post twice on the same subject, but this just occured to me.

The majority of the bulb radiates out of the housing, not to the reflector. Thus, regardless of how you treat the reflector, the effective brightness doesn't change much.

Notice on modern headlights that the little halogen bulb points at a small reflector in front of the bulb, then back to the rear reflector and out of the housing. That maximizes the brightness.

Now, if you can turn the bulb around backwards, you might get more light off of the reflector. I doubt its worth it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.