Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a rolling engine stand to fit my Ford 289. The motor is currently on a taller, typical stand, which mounts to the rear of the block, but i want a "cradle" type stand that will put the motor about 12" above the floor, and allow me to mount the transmission to the motor before lifting them both with the cherry picker. Also, where is the best place on the sides of the block to mount it to the stand? If anybody has any plans or pictures of stands they have, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I use an old tire. Cradles the engine nicely and they're free from any tire shop.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
For one, they sell them on E-Bay. You attach to existing motor mounts. I made this one for a 250ci I6, out of stuff I had sitting around in the garage. The trailer jacks are unnecessary, I just had them. Bolted the rear to bell housing. Easily redesigned to mount tranny. I actually used this one to fire up the engine to make sure it ran.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,851 Posts
I know what he's trying to do. Glazier/Nolan stores used engines on stands about the size of a milk crate, bolted to the motor mount bosses. Very stable, easy to slide (they didn't add wheels). They're made of 1" square steel tube, with, IIRC, a piece of angle iron for the mount bolts. They made them in-house, so I don't know if you could buy one anywhere. It'd be pretty easy to make, though.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have my engine and trans set onto an old Kennedy toolbox dolley I bought just for this purpose. I picked up a Ford small block engine stand at a swap meet and bolted the engine to it. Had to reverse the engine stand to get it to fit because it's made to attach at the rear where the trans is still in place. The whole thing fits nicely onto the dolley almost like it was made for it.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,644 Posts
I made my own copy of the one like Jeg's sells posted above after I kept seeing them for Chevys and never Fords a few years back. (Nowadays they have them for Fords). My rear supports use the bellhousing bolt holes so isn't useful to hold one with a transmission attached. A feature I don't want or need. I believe the ones sold by Jeg's and others have the same limitation.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I made one from a pile of 4x4's I had laying around, sorry but I don't have any drawings and it was dismantled.
Here are a couple of pics rthat may help you.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Most of the small cradles are not designed to have the wieght of the trans hanging on the back so they might be pretty unstable..If its just something temporary you need to move the whole assembly around I have used the bottom section of a shopping cart successfully..:)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts