Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have modified the transmission tunnel and seat platform on my 1966 vert.
I have tried a carpet and it does not fit, too short width wise.
How did you get the carpet to work?
I don't really want to use a center console.

Are carpets for a coupe or fastback wider, would they work?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
All the body styles have the same width carpet....if you dont want to use a console, you really only have 2 options:

1. Split the carpet in the middle and overlay a 2nd piece of carpet, letting it hang down the sides of the tunnel.
2. Mold your own custom carpet....you can buy general automotive carpet(find something that looks close) and use a heat gun to mold it to fit the shape of the floor...there are how-tos for this

The best look is just to use a console....you can make one that doesn't look as hideous as most of those on the market if you can work with fiberglass

P.S. I suppose its also possible to simply sew a piece into the center of the carpet...but you would likely have be a very experienced seamstress(seamster?)to make the seams blend well

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
For me, I would have a custom upholsterer to do a nice custom carpet for it. Probably more expensive but he can make it look exactly like you want with no ugly seams or cuts.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
...or start looking at Galaxies, Lincolns or even Cadillac carpets to judge something that might be close to the same contours in the foot wells and such so you only have to cut down the sides.
I guess you raised the tunnel so now the larger hump uses more material to over and down around it?

Ive not bought carpet from them but they have all the stuff to go full custom. Great selection and prices on stuff I have bought though.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Convertibles have the widest carpet as it has to cover the inner rockers of the convertible. If you purchased your carpet for a convertible and it's still too short (that trans tunnel must be huge) then your only option is custom.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You could also split your carpet, buy a fold down set to match yours, and use a professional wall to wall carpet seamer and carpet tape to patch your carpet with a piece from the fold down set using carpet tape from behind. Lay the carpet patch in right with the nap going in the same direction as your carpet and the seam can disappear. You'll have to put some padding behind the patch though because the fold down carpet doesn't have any padding on it. Headliner insulation might make a good backing for the patch.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Take it to an auto upholstery shop and let them do it. Take the carpet you have and see if they can incorporate the rubber foot rest into their carpet. When I had mine done by a shop years ago, the foot rest was the only thing that did not look right, but no big deal because it is covered with a mat anyway.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I'd try the convertible carpet first. I added convertible inner rockers and a one piece seat riser. After trimming for width, the carpet fits just fine. Yours depends on how much sheet metal was added for your mod.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont have the original carpet, I bought the car as a half completed project but it came with a new carpet of unknown origin. It presumed the carpet is for a convertible, is there a way to tell? I did not see any markings on it.

Searching I found some people who used a heat gun to help make a carpet fit better but it seems you need to get close to the actual melting point of the carpet to do this. One even mentioned heating the floor from below with a torch, not sure I want to do that, it would be still too short.

I think I will look at maybe using separate pieces and have the edges stitched.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Lay it out in the hot sun for a while, maybe use a heat gun or hair dryer to work certain areas. Fit the rear section first as the front lays over it. Work the front in as you need to and any additional material needed will hide better under the dash or under the seats after they bolt in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts