Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Looks more and more likely that I'm going to have to park the coupe for the next couple of years. I'm still considering what to do about keeping the elements off of it. Most likely I'll get a couple of big tarps to drive it onto and tie them about 1/3 - 1/2 the way up the car and then put the car cover over top of that.

The part I'm not really sure with here is leaving it on jackstands. I think I should to keep weight off axle bearings not to mention prevent flat spots on my nice new tires. The trouble is I'm renting right now and the concrete pad that used to be there is pretty rough (though still usable IMHO). I'm thinking pads underneath the stands are probably a good idea just to be sure and I've head that good thick pieces of plywood work well but what else could I use since this will be outside? I'm considering moving the car to an asphalt pad that's also at the house.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

G

·
0 Posts
I saw a portable car garage made from plastic with a fan to recirculate air on My Classic Car. It would be exactly what you're looking for. As for the stands, I'd use a piece of 1X6 on the bottom & an old piece of cut tire or other rubber on the car side. It won't hurt the bearings too much to set on them & if the tires are radials they won't flat spot. Might try Hemmings for a link. I'm wanting one for my car & need to look today.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you are looking for rubber pieces to use as jackstand pads go to a local gym and see if they have any big heavy rubber mats in the free weight area. Wherever they got them might be a good source of material to use as jackstand pads. These pads are incredibly durable and I think that they would do quite well holding up your car.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oops...I think I mean something else by "jackstand pad". I mean something I can put under the pad to keep the stand stable and on top of any soft earth. I've heard of people using 3/4in plywood cut 2ft by 2ft but of course, you can't leave that out in the rain for very long.

Thanks for the ideas so far, though. I dunno if a plastic bubble is within my pricerange at the moment considerring I'm debating the $100(Can.) I'm probably going to spend on crappy used wheels/tires to rll the thing around on so I can keep the BFG's in the house and out of the elements.
I have a friend with a 5.0 Capri that had sat in a field for awhile and one of the bigger costs of getting iit on the road again was to replace some of the axle bearings as they had (supposedly) been distorted by having the car resting on them for so long. Could be a bunch of BS but I could see it happening...

Nice link btw, thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I use pieces of 2X12 treated lumber..I cut them into pieces aprox..15 inches long..they will last like crazy outside..no matter what the elements throw at them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts