Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://homepages.go.com/~ful_throttle/POWERSTEERING1.JPG
http://homepages.go.com/~ful_throttle/POWERSTEERING2.JPG

This is the power steering pump on my '70 stang.
The hoses actually go UP toward the hood, then turn down and go under the engine towards the valve and ram. This cannot be correct,can it?? I suspect I have a pump not designed for my car in there. It is VERY ugly looking to see these two hoses curling around the pump and going down in front of my drivers-side shock tower. Why in the world the just don't go straight down to start with I will never know.

Help??

Full Throttle
1970 Mach 1
351C

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
It looks like someon installed an 'extension' on the high pressure side (the one coming out of the middle of the pump). If I were you, I woud march down to the local NAPA store (or your favorite place) and purchase a new set of hoses. The brackets on the pump look like they work (and since this thign is in the car, they must), but appears to be made a little different.

Good luck.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have all new hoses I will be putting on. I was getting ready to take this thing off and clean and paint it. Now I am not so sure that I want to use it. I really want to get the hoses going down instead of up.

It looks like I get to engineer some of it :)

Full Throttle
1970 Mach 1
351C

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I think that the hoses do head in a downward direction. You will know more when you go to install the hoses. the other thing you could do is to buy one of the assembly manuals tha show how it is supposed to go. I am suprised that nobody else has responded.

Good luck...

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
That looks bizarre! On my '69, the hoses both go straight down after comming out of the pump. The power hose is no problem, as you can orient it however you want, but the return line fitting is molded to the pump.

You may try using a pipe bender and changing the direction of the return hose fitting. Worst case senario, you break it off and go get the right pump.

Possibly some of the PS pumps on A/C cars route differently? That's maybe something to ponder. My '69 has no A/C.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 70 convert and the back of your pump has definitely
been altered. Time for a new one. Only about $55.00

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't know about the rest ot these replys, but I have only taken apart one power steering pump and I found that the shell rotates once you loosened the nuts on the center tube. It looks like it was just not put back together right, maybe even the wrong tubes. I think if you loosen the nuts at the base of each line you should be able to get it all lined up again. Might take a little muscle to turn it, but as Bella Carozzi (I dont know how to spell last name) says "You can do it!"
GOOD LUCK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts