Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A favor... I am trying to determine what (brand) and model crate engine I have. No documentation, and the only numbers I can locate on the (ford) engine are a set of recessed stamped numbers and letters located just below the valve cover, on the drivers side of the engine. S3030 (and maybe another number or letter that is covered up by the bolt/bracket for the power steering pump.). Just below is G00305 (or the 5 is an S). No other markings on the engine (block). The block is painted gloss black. Any ideas what I have? 302, 306, 331? Who made, when manufactured? I tried reaching out to ATK, Blueprint no reply. Edelbrock said it is not one of their crate engines.

It was a custom build, Windsor JR cylinder heads, Weiand intake, MSD blaster ignition, Edelbrock 1406, etc... Aside note, I spoke with K&N, the filter (and spherical triangle cover) were custom made for Edelbrock racing and no longer manufactured.
The block is painted gloss black. 302, 306, 331? Any ideas what I have? I reached out to ATK, Blueprint but no reply. Any guidance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll take some pictures today and post tonight. I was hoping the stamping numbers would be something, someone would recognize.

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
Might be a Jasper, or a box-store rebuild block.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Ford factory casting numbers on Windsor blocks are cast into the right side of the block, just above the starter. Usually have to remove the starter to get a clear look at the numbers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies. Don't think it is a Dart, no Dart (or any other) brand stamp on the engine. And yes, I can see stamping behind the starter, so I can pull it and find the original info, 302, when/where originally built, etc... but that won't tell me what crate build (302, 306, 331) and manufacturer (blue print, ATK), it is, will it? I also reached out to the Ford Windsor engine tech 5.0/5.8 forum (Identifying windsor engine) and posted pictures there hoping that engine forum can shed some light. What is throwing me is the stamping on the top/front of the block (details above) I have not seen this stamping in any of the (hundreds) of 302 engine pictures I researched. Apologies for not knowing more, perhaps this was simply a frame off, and the previous owner just added upgrades to the 302 engine and slapped a coat of gloss paint on the block. But the front stamping is still a mystery.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
641 Posts
If i rememer correctly, dont the Cleveland vs Winsor have different fuel pump bolt orientation?

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Start with the basics. The block casting # above the starter will tell you what the block is. Random stampings on the engine can be anything from an assembly date from Ford, to a rebuilder's identification like an invoice or job number. Many rebuilders will also affix a plate to the block with particulars such as overbore and undersize of the bearing journals.

As far as the 289 & 302 vs 351W identification, the block casting # will tell you that, as will the block. The 289/302 head is even with the machined pad by the timing cover.

The 351W, with it's 1" taller deck height, is an inch above that boss.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Hemikiller. Based on your picture, it is a 302. In your picture, just above the '2' you marked in red, I have the bottom bolt hole, and top bolt hole that the ps bracket mounts to. What is weird, is instead of the recessed 2"? hole in between the 2 bolts holes, that is in your picture, my block is flat and has the recessed stamped #'s S3030 (and maybe another number or letter that is covered up by the bolt/bracket for the power steering pump.). Just below is G00305 (or the 5 is an S). These are large (1/2") and look like they were stamped at manufacturing. Again, I looked at many 302 images and have never seen these markings, any idea? Ever see a block with numbers there?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One last picture. Not a great image, but this is the stamping that is located where, the recessed (2-3") hole is bored into the block between the 2 bolt holes (in HemiKillers 302 image). Notice no hole just stamped letters/numbers. Anyone recognize this? Anyone have similar markings on their engine?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I found a 53030 to be World Products Windsor Jr. Heads.

Reread your first post, you said the number is just below the valve cover with no freeze plug. This matches up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, yes, windsor jr's cylinder heads, but I still am trying to determine is this just a stock 302 with a bit of upgrades or a crate 302, 306 or 331 and who built.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Thanks, yes, windsor jr's cylinder heads, but I still am trying to determine is this just a stock 302 with a bit of upgrades or a crate 302, 306 or 331 and who built.
You'll never know if it's a 260, 289, 302, 331 or 347 by looking at the casting codes of the block and heads. You need to measure the bore and stroke to figure out what you have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts