Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1968 mustang coupe
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a 1968 mustang last night with a 302. He had a list of parts the previous owner installed but sadly didn’t know much about them. Starting to do the basics maintenance items and I want to replace the cap and rotor but not sure what it is. Any ideas what it could be?

I think it’s a duraspark distributor as I see the harness is controlled by a msd 6a ignition box. I have not used them much but my old 84 wagoneer I know had one why that’s why I’m thinking it’s it. Not sure what to lookup parts wise. Anyone recognize what it is and how I can lookup parts?Trying to pickup a msd cap and rotor which im guessing is on there

·
Registered
1968 mustang coupe
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not pop the cap off and look inside? Looks like a standard Ford V8 cap.
I did and it says made in usa with no other markings. I looked at the base and see stamped c9zf-12131-a. Im googling it and i think its a 69 duraspark 1 distributor? Maybe? The guy said its a 69 motor so that would make sense.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Two choices. Buy a cap and rotor for a 69 302 and see if it fits (if not, you can take it back and exchange for the correct one). Or pull your cap and rotor and take to Autozone and get one that matches.

·
Registered
1968 mustang coupe
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I caved and bought a msd cap/rotor listed for a 69 mustang and it fit great. Thanks for the help

just in case anyone needs it the part was MSD Street Fire Cap and Rotor Kits 5506

1 - 6 of 6 Posts