Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, 'fess up all you older Stangers: Don't some of the ricers with their low cost "performance enhancements" and questionable aesthetics remind you of how you were with your first car?

Here's what I was doing with my car 20 years ago:

* Package tray broken? No problem - get a piece of walnut wood paneling to match the pony interior. Lookin' sharp!

* Tears in your black pony interior? Not for long, as long as you've got electrical tape!

* Trumpet exhausts missing? Go get yourself some of those cheapo extensions down at the auto store.

* Vinyl top fading? Not as long as spraypaint's available.

* And last but not least: No worn-out engine with 150K on it can resist the immediate therapeutic value of a can of STP oil treatment. Just pour some in your engine and the rest on the ground where the remaining oil is. VRROOOOMMMM....!

Seriously, I have more respect for Ricers who have an interest in their cars than some folks who'll spend 50K on a nice BMW, but have no love for the vehicle.

Cecil Bozarth

1966 GT Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise with black pony interior)

1994 GT Convertible

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and let's not forget, cracked vinyl dash? cut a strip of velour fur. mmmmm. gotta love the Seventies eh?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I agree, these guys put their money in what they have or are use to seeing. Remember, most of these kids weren't born when Vietinam was going on. Don't remember the 8 track (cassette is the old stuff).
How about shag carpet on the floor & package tray area (matching of course). And extended shackles on the leaf springs. They're doing the same thing that we did way back then. And I bet our parents looked down on us :)

66 Coupe, 302, Auto, 3.25 gears. [color:red]Candyapple Red</font color=red> with White Pearl Stripes. Cragars.
http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cecil... ok i fess up..!! the young guys do have some very 'nice' looking asian cars. but not very many of them are built up in their garages etc... most are just 'factory dress up ' kits. and not to touch on the subject of how old i may be i just cannot warm to these new cars -regardless of how fast or ' flashy' they are ...!!!.....iam just an incorigible old fart...!!! ..............Larry ( there is nothing like the feel of V8 torque under your right foot..!! )

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
How about translucent paisley floormats reflecting those cool blue lights installed under the dash and front seat?

My Torino was COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Doug-"Whether you think you can or think you cannot.....you're right!!" GT/CS w/289-2v,PDB,A/C,PS,candyapple red,black top and interior,pertronix,chromeSS Wheels w/ GT centers, 215x14 BFG radial T/A's 3.55:1 open and KYB's

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I agree. When I was a teenager building 60's muscle cars, my dad didn't understand. He liked the 40's cars. Remember tires sticking out of the wheelwells? Straight axles? Jacked up rear ends? Metal flake paint jobs? Does anybody think these things look good now? It's the next generation, these are the cars they identify with, and they are pretty damn well engineered cars at that. The one thing I absolutely hate about this forum is when people start talking bad about others. Thats not what this is about. Let's stick to Mustangs, eh?

Anyone know what these are?
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572917&a=11954864&p=45046399.jpg

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572917&a=11954864&p=42994554.jpg

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Anyone know what these are?
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572917&a=11954864&p=45046399.jpg

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572917&a=11954864&p=42994554.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim.... i know iam a little .. or maybe a LOT.. unfair about this subject. The post about how our fathers liked old fords etc. with straight axels so on...is true. We are the generation after that and we think differenty ..etc.
And now we are dealing with our sons .etc... generation and they quite obviously have their likes and way of doing things . Which is hard for SOME of us to accept - me included..I admit that straight up...!!! This for me is not a criticism of the younger generation...I just like stirring the under 25's up a little...!!! No malice intented.. Right or wrong my sense of humour gets me into trouble sometimes.
Just to give an example, one of my mates here has a 3 Litre twin turbo fuel injected ,5 speed , black, 17' wheeled toyota supra -fully imported from japan...man, that thing is a BULLET.... 240 kilometers ( approx. 130 mph) in no time...!!!on a closed course for those worried about being safe on our roads..So I hope I have explained myself regards my atitude to your concern
LARRY

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Cecil:
While very little of the stuff they do to their cars appeals to me, I certainly understand the mentality. When I was in high school, I bought a then 7-year-old 1960 A-H Bugeye Sprite. Nice little car. It was a stock, white car with a red interior.

I immediately had my uncle paint it Corvette Nassau Blue. Looked REALLY good with that red interior *LOL*! I added some funky Pep Boys Fog Lights to the grille and headers with a straight-through exhaust.

Adults must have been thinking, "what an idiot...". I thought it was very cool.

I now own a Nissan Maxima 5 speed (and 5 other cars as well - I have a little 'habit'...) and sometimes post on the largest Maxima site, 'Maxima.org'. The kids (and they are mostly kids - average age = 22) are seriously into clear tail lights and Hiper-White bulbs. Most haven't the slightest idea as to how to work on their cars. They are alot like I was - just different tastes.

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My first car was a 1966 willys jeep with a leaky 4 banger. we got it from a catepillar dealership and it was bulldozer yellow.
Me and my brother camoflagged it. It was cool. the rediator was more GUNK then metal.
and it was cool to take to the beach...that was1986, in high school. can't say I ever owned a rice rocket.

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aren't those things some kind of seventies kitch ashtray? '-)

The REAL difference between the way cars were 'tarted up' 20 to 40 years ago is spirit of the times. In the 50's, 60's and 70's, each new set of teenagers saw the era as having some kind of direction, be it getting over the war, getting around the establishment or getting high. Nobody that was young then can truthfully say now that shag pile carpet parcel shelves and padded velvet door trims ever really looked good. Nobody had done anything like that before and it seemed cool at the time. Perhaps the new kids are benefiting from our experience and experimentation in style. Perhaps they are being manipulated by the massive marketing efforts that were not around in those days. I personally think the only dissappointing thing about the Rice Buggy Driver is his lack of sense of history and the soul of USA. (hell I appreciatte that and I don't even live there!). My last word on style is that when I show people my high school photos, my old clothes and my old hairdo, they say "what a dag you were" BUT when I show them my 1967 convertible in the garage, which was around at the same time say in unison " Man what a cool car!" and isn't that why we love the Mustang? case closed

http://www.hotkey.net.au/~amcruisers/images/stangrear.jpg

·
Registered
206 Posts
the way I see it, the ricers are the modern hot rodders...taking otherwise pedantic family/econo boxes and making them haul ass in style; isn't that how a lot of the original hot rods started out? ('T' buckets et al)

I admit, though, that there is something somewhat "un-macho" about handing the keys over at the local shop to have do-it-yourself parts added for a steep fee

personally, i can't wait for the warranty to run out on my honda so i can start addindg a couple of things

'69 coupe in the making

1 - 13 of 13 Posts