Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys got a problem here i have a 72 v8 302 new intake and nw carb but heres the problem. If i go some where and when the car gets to about 150 degrees and up like when i stop at a light my rpm's drop down to about 500 or 700 and the car will die. Now my mechanic said that its the starter but that dosent have anything to do with it dose it wouldnt it be liek the timing or something pleez help?????

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Probably not the starter, maybe a vacuum leak or carb setup.
Maybe the choke (high idle) is keeping it running, once it warms up and the choke comes off the idle is to low?

Regards,
BillGear

1966 Mustang Coupe, 302 custom roller cam, holley 650dp,http://www.289mustang.com
http://www.289mustang.com/images/vmfcar.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for the response do u think the idle is set to low on the carb. because i checked the battery alternator and starter and they are all fine like if i pull up to a light my rpm's go to about 500 i would rather have it at about 1,ooo or so is it easy to adjust the idel on a holley carb.?????

·
Registered
786 Posts
Look where the throttle linkage from the engine attaches to the carburetor. Move the linkage arm open and closed. Look closley around the carburetor and you should see a screw that stops the position of the linkage at idle. Adjust it to hold the throthle in the open position further and see if that helps. The alternator, battery, and starter have NOTHING to do with that problem. It' something with the carburetor such as idle mixture, idle speed setting, timing, tunue up and etc.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now should i keep the car running and turn the screw until i get about a 1000 rpm idle or what should i do???

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, try using the curb idle screw (as mentioned) to adjust the RPMs where you like. I suggest having someone sit in the drivers seat, drop the car in gear and step on the brakes while you make the adjustment (use your head here and avoid getting crushed by your car if it surges forward or something). You might find 1000 rpm too high though- I'd just 'play it by ear' til you've found something you can live with.
Two cautions though, first look down the carb to make sure you aren't 'exposing the transfer slots at the back of the venturiis ( the throttle plates should wind up just under the bottom edge ) and second if you need to have the car running that high to get a decent idle there are other issues that need to be corrected ( assuming a mild combo is used ). Good luck.
........Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts