Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Idle pulley for power steering

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Hemikiller 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I just replaced the belt on my 69 302. I'm having issues putting tension in the power steering belt. Any ideas?

For the belt that goes to the AC, there is an idle pulley mounted so I'm wondering if there is an idle pulley I can add for the power steering belt?

Thanks!

#4 ·
WOW.
Volumes are written on this.
Basic questions.
When was system last rebuilt?
Are components installed correctly?
Which type of Fluid?
Has steering been aligned recently, correctly.
If components have been recently installed, were they installers will versed in the old ford power assist system?

Bottom line is these system perform excellent, give precise steering to our old Fords. If old, worn out, they perform poorly. A brand new 2020 Mustang, NOT rebuilt in 50 years will need assistance in the steering, drive poorly.

Rebuild your system CORRECTLY--- cruise gracefully/happy!

#5 ·
^ What he said.
We cover this subject on literally a monthly basis on the VMF.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

#7 ·
^ What he said.
We cover this subject on literally a monthly basis on the VMF.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
OK ill search around. I bought the car with it so I know know when was the last time it was rebuilt. It looks super old so I assume it came with the car? Might be a good summer project rebuiling it.

If you've moved the pump as far out as it will go, and the belt is still not tight, likely your power steering belt is too long.

The boaty feeling can also be caused by worn shocks and worn sway bar bushings. The standard, factory sway bar was also kinda wimpy. I went with a 1-1/8" sway bar on my 1970. Some people say that's too big, but it's what Shaun at Street or Track recommended and it works very well.
It looks like I can move it more but doing it solo is kinda tought. Might ask someone at home to tighten it while i pull the steering pump. I'll check the bushings and sway bar.

#6 ·
If you've moved the pump as far out as it will go, and the belt is still not tight, likely your power steering belt is too long.

The boaty feeling can also be caused by worn shocks and worn sway bar bushings. The standard, factory sway bar was also kinda wimpy. I went with a 1-1/8" sway bar on my 1970. Some people say that's too big, but it's what Shaun at Street or Track recommended and it works very well.

#8 ·
I don't know what the adjustment setup looks like on this Mustang but something we use to do at work was to just snug down the adjustment bolt. and t the take a punch and hit the bolt head. It would tighten the belt and hold the position until you could tighten the bolt. I know it sounds like a butcher job but on some vehicles it just hard to find a spot to pry on.

If you are out of adjustment and the belt is snug just not quite tight enough, cut the belt. Move the adjustment back as far as it goes the other way. Wrap the cut belt around the pulleys and measure and hold the belt snug and measure how wunch more belt you need. Add that to the length of your cut belt. The parts store can sell you one any length you need.

#9 ·
If you are out of adjustment and the belt is snug just not quite tight enough, cut the belt. Move the adjustment back as far as it goes the other way. Wrap the cut belt around the pulleys and measure and hold the belt snug and measure how wunch more belt you need. Add that to the length of your cut belt.
I would think if he has reached the far end of the adjustment and the belt is not tight he would need a shorter belt, not a longer one.

#13 ·
Something to keep in mind is that Ford used different diameter water pump pulleys depending upon the cooling system you r car was equipped with. Your best bet might be to take the existing belt to NAPA and have them measure it, and supply you with a belt that's 1" or 1 1/2" shorter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.