Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Slightly modified 69 coupe
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm rebuilding the manual steering assembly for my 69 and it currently has a 19:1 box but I was switching to a 16:1. Do I re-use the pitman arm from my 19:1 box or do I use the pitman arm that's already on the 16:1?

Some time ago I ordered the idler arm and got this one that has a 90* turn and the original one that was on my mustang has a curve to it. Will the new one work the same or do I need to order the curved one?
Both of the original manual steering are on the right side.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Font Bumper

·
Registered
1969 Mach 1 Restomod
412 Posts
I am sure you will get one of the steering guru's on shortly, but it looks to me like the pitman arms are different between manual and power. Looks like the power pitman is a non wear part with the tapered hole ( socket is in the drag link) where the manual pitman arm has the ball socket included with the tapered hole in the center drag link.
Those boxes look like they have the same pitman shaft size, but I know some have different sizes. I have exhausted my knowledge of the Ford steering systems

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
You will use the manual pitman. This will fit your centerlink, the other pitman is Power Steering.
The Idlers. Your original is a manual steering idler--IF my eyes aren't deceiving me , the other is a Power Steering Idler.?? Both replacements
Then the 16 to 1 box. FRom looking at the adjustment screw, you will need to address that slop that will be the box.

·
Registered
40,960 Posts
Use the Pitman Arm from your old box. The one on the new box appears to be for power steering and will not attach to your existing centerlink.

I'd also use the old idler arm, if still serviceable, or obtain a new one of the same design. I think the "L" bracket ones aren't as rugged as the original style.

·
Premium Member
Slightly modified 69 coupe
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will use the manual pitman. This will fit your centerlink, the other pitman is Power Steering.
The Idlers. Your original is a manual steering idler--IF my eyes aren't deceiving me , the other is a Power Steering Idler.?? Both replacements
Then the 16 to 1 box. FRom looking at the adjustment screw, you will need to address that slop that will be the box.
[/QUOTE
I wanted to send you my 16:1 box.
Do I just email you or can I message you here?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts