Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I replaced the upper ball joints and tie rod ends on my 65 coupe and everything went smooth until I got to replacing the idler arm bushing. Thinking it would be the easiest chore I saved it til last, WRONG!!!! First off the rubber separated leaving the outer sleeve inside. I managed to get that out without damaging anything using a socket of the same diameter, a block of wood to support it, and my BFH. Now would someone tell me the best way to get the new bushing into the idler arm so as not to damage anything. The inside of the idler arm is clean and not burred but I can tell it's gonna' be a tight fit. I decided to get the input of the group before I screwed anything up.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Mine was pressed in by a local front end shop--I took the bushing and idler arm to them--It cost me 10 bucks and took them about 10 minutes(he had to finish his lunch)--Or a big hydraulic press--Thats what they used--Unless you happen to have a press in your back pocket *G*

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Use a heavy lubricant like STP or something similar and put it in a big vise.The vise will work just like a press,just go slow and make sure it goes in straight.Let us know how it works out...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put it in as followed after thinking about it for a day. Got a bolt, a nut, and two heavy washers. Put a little anti-sieze on the sleeve and inside the idler arm, ran the bolt thru both parts and tightened down drawing the bushing right up inside. Kinda' like an on the car press. Worked great!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts