Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 68 cv. suspension rebuild, have to replace idler arm. Got a Moog replacement. Now....according to the local Mustang store, the replacements don't function right because the bushing doesn't have "sawtooth" serrated ridges on the top and bottom edges. Claims that a 65 that they did, resulted in the steering not correcting properly in turns. This was the problem. Is this true? Can't believe that Moog would not include this if it were. Still.......

·
Registered
512 Posts
As an aside, I believe that that K8161 (and probably the other as well) does NOT come with the bracket. Just the idler.

·
Registered
886 Posts
My 8158 came with a bracket also. That pic is interesting, I had never seen a side by side comparison of these - so my 8158 would work in a manual steering set up if I were to swap in a manual pittman arm and center link? (sorry about the semi-hijack)

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
I gave up on trying to find a replacemnt idler arm for my '71. All the Moog / Napa / TRW parts didn't fit and/or line up with the frame holes.

I spent @ $18 on new bushings and pressed them into my original arm. Works perfect and looks right as well. Bushings remove and install with just a common bench vise and a couple pieces of appropriate size pipe or tube...

·
Registered
398 Posts
As an aside, I believe that that K8161 (and probably the other as well) does NOT come with the bracket. Just the idler.
Both of those idler arms come with the frame brackets.
They are both dimensionally identical except as seen below:
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/578/k8161drag_link_end_text.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/578/k8158_drag_link_end_text.jpg

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I put the K8158 on my 67 GT350. Worked just fine.

Hemikiller, I found an idler arm for my 73 vert. Bought it at the local mom @ pop auto supply. Can't remember offhand who made it. That was a couple of years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts