Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
5.0 HO Ford EFI MAF
I'm trying to set the timing. I had the spout out and it idles nicely at 45* BTDC. As I turn the distributor it gets very rough around 40* BTDC.
I initially thought that the distributor was just "one tooth off" and was going to pull and reinstall it. But having read this thread on StangNet I'm an reconsidering.

The engine was pulled from another wrecked parts car. It appears all stock but I don't know anything about it's history other than it idled and moved the wrecked car when I got it.

This is how the rotor sits with timing mark at 0* and timing at 45* BTDC (as per timing light).

Any help/advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I am not 100percent certain but I think there are 2 timing covers and pulleys. Check your zero. Bring car to TDC by checking to see if the piston is at top at 0.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Having a good idle at 45 I don't think is possible. Your mark is off

·
Registered
680 Posts
Which timing pointer are you using? 10, 11, or 2 o’clock position?
Are you sure the pickup is clamped onto correct wire going to number 1 spark plug?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I moved the timing light signal picker upper down towards the spark plug and I now have it reading 10* BTDC witth spout out. I had it placed closer to distributer before. I think it was picking up signals from the other wires. Thanks for the responses. I'm still learning here.

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you ever wonder about a misfire/bad plug in future, you can find it by clamping on each wire one at a time too. Glad you found the correct timing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts