Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The next door neighbor's 16 year old kid is building his first car as a father/son project. A "1967 Dodge Dart GT convertible with a 440ci and 4 speed". His dad is pitching in with the expertise and a little cash, but all the little extra's the son wants, he has to buy or do with out. So the son came over to me asking if I had anything he could do to earn a few bucks. So I said sure, I haven't had the chance to switch the cracked exhaust manifold out on the Xr7 Convertible, how about that? I gave him the keys to the cougar and he started on it bright and early this morning. He finally got the broken one off, and it came out in 3 pieces /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif.

So he went to grab the one I have sitting on another 351W, and found it to be cracked as well /forums/images/icons/mad.gif. Are these things know for cracking all the time? I've rarely have had any problems with the 289/302 manifolds. Anyway I've got two more out at the storage yard, but the yard owner is on vacation until Monday, so It looks like I will have to buy one if I want to get it done by the weekend.

And here I thought I could win this kid over to Fords & Mercs, once he saw how much easier it is to work on the Cougar! Oh Well!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Tell me why a 16 year old needs 440 cubic inches. I'm 18 and all the crap I hear about and/or see how my friends and peers drive scares me half to death, especially once they get "sports" cars. It's worse in high school when the 16 year old kid who gets to drive his mommys civic thinks it's a charged supra in the parking lot. But still, there's VERY few decent "young" drivers in our town anyways, and they're all me in my car or me in my friends car, or me in my mom's car or whatever. But whatever keeps em "off the streets", even if they go back on em with a big block V8. But like you said it's just mopar power =P.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually this 16 year old kid has a very good head on his shoulder, I've seen this kid grow up, and how his parents have raised him. He has more common sense than what I see in a lot of kids I run into now a days. Not knocking anyone else down, just knowing this kid has set some good goals for himself, and doesn't mind working for them. Plus the 440 car him and his dad is building has got his blood, sweat and tears in it, so I don't think he is likely to thrash it, or abuse it. There is still kids out there that are like this thank goodness! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts