Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to see two cars tommorow...69 mach 1 428 cj q code automatic in need of total resto (matching numbers car) or 69 mach 1 4 spd 428 cj r code(??? matching numbers car...??? 390 block) drives and interiors is nice paint ok but needs to be done engine was done in 91 probably needs to be redone. q code is 1/2 price of r code?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
What is the price of the q code? Either will be a solid investment...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I would go with the Q code rarer (?) 1/2 the price of the r code. Use the remaining money to start the Q code. Figure on both needing extensive work to get it to your standards. So go with the rarer of the two. Its what you will have in the end that will matter the most. heres a dollar can I have 98 cents back? ::

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where do you get the numbers for the rarity of the q code versus the r code 72458 69 mach 1....13193 428 cj/scj in 69..but q vs r??

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The r-code is the higher end of the two, but not sure if the q code is rarer... (q code is 428 w/o shaker, r code is 428 w/shaker)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that the r-code is the more desirable option but I am not sure about matching numbers and of course is it a true 428 cj until I get the engine out of the car...both will need to be done the q code a total resto while the r code "freshening up"

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
q-code== silver jade black interior
r code==royal maroon black interior

both are nice colours

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Depends on what type of resto you would like to do. I know q + r code concourse parts are way expensive... So depending on prices, the r may be cheaper in the long run... and will be worth more.

·
Registered
532 Posts
OK My outlook.

For me the R is a better coller, has a 4 speed, and is a driver.

the Q is a totol resto, auto, but cheeper.

If I had the cash, I would go with the R. It will for sure end up needing a lot of work, but always better to get a driver. And wether or not there were more Q then R's, more people want R's, so it will be easyer to sell if you decide.

·
Registered
846 Posts
You also need to determine what you want to do with the car. If your planning on making some personal mods, ie electric windows, tubbing and such, the R shouldn't be your choice. Also on a side note, the shaker assy can go for anywhere from $1000 to $2000 alone if it's original. You might want to check http://www.nadaguides.com/autohome.aspx?LI=1-11-1-2081-0-0-0&Lnk=1&wSec=10&wPr=0&wPg=2001 . You'll find the R code is worth much more restored than the Q.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sometimes it's easy to be fooled by a lower cost of a car needing a full restoration. You need to do some math, being realistic about the cost of restoring or freshening each car. Sometimes lower priced cars needing a lot can be false economy. Having said that, the R code car is more desirable for several reasons, plus it sounds like you could be enjoying it much sooner which is a huge plus in my book.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
If you can maybe you should buy both of them, swap the motors when you are ready & then sell the Q code w/ the 390.
Otherwise it's a toss up w/o knowing a lot more about each car. Personally, I think a 4 speed car is a little more fun to drive but I would be happy with either car.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I'd go with the 4 sp.

John Harvey

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
The Q code is rarer but not as desirable as the R code, especially when mated to the four speed. If it is a numbers matching R-code four speed then that one has the potential to be more valuable. The key is which one has the least amount of rust. Body work is very expensive. CJ parts are expensive too but the bodywork cost will add up fast. Without seeing the cars and knowing the price this is tough to determine.

·
Registered
360 Posts
How can the r-code be numbers matching with a 390? I have a 1970 Q-code, very correct, and have had many other 428 cars. PM me or e-mail me with more details, costs, and I can be of more help, or give you my phone number to discuss. Good luck, Jack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts