Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to US 131 Motorsports Park last night for the IHRA Torco NAtionals Time trials. OH MY, I have never seen Top Fuel in person. Watched it lots of times on TV. I thought it was something with the funny cars. Then Top Fuel came out. It was just getting dark. This is an understatement, These cars are awsume. When every other class of car pulss to the line they RPM up the funny cars launch at 6500 RPMs so that gives you an idea, really loud. Top Fuel Stage and they get quiet Then litarely all hell breaks loose. With the time of night it was. OH MY!!!!!!!! The crowd went crazy the first run was 297mph and 307mph. I have enevr in my life witnessed anything like this. There were about 24 top fuel. My 12 year old Daughter was bored with the drag racing until these Top Fuel came out. Ear plugs were barely enough for the noise and the shock to the body when they went buy shoke the hat on your head. My Daught woke up after that, then she couldn't get enough.
The night turned out to be an IHRA record night. The fastest qualifiing speed average ever. After words they let all the fans walk the track to bask in the record breaking night.
The finals are tonight and should be on the Speed channel. Watch for it. We can't be there. it is the IHRA TORCO Nationals. My son said the camera picked us up so hey if someone sees us let us know.
The finals are today but we can't make it.
So If you have never seen Top Fuel in person. I highly recommend it. You will not be disapointed.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I've been to the NHRA at Heartland Park Topeka a couple of times and you are right... HOLY SH!T those Top Fuelers are unbelievable :: Nothing else out there can compare to that monstrous chest wacking you get when they launch off the line!

Well, maybe a Saturn V or the Space Shuttle...Those were pretty impressive too :: ::

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I took the wife to Gator Nationals! I warned her about the Top Fuelers when they both launch and stay side by side for the duration of the 1/4. Well She about jumped out of her skin....and so did the row infront of us. She turned around and Said "This is Great!"

·
Registered
805 Posts
It's just incredible isn't it? I bet I have been to 25 races, and I still jump when they launch! If you ever have a chance to go again - take a walk to the end of the track. As they pass you can feel the air just beat you in the chest - way too cool! I guess that's what 6000+ HP can do for you! jc

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
LOL it is great. The first time to see a top fuel and they do 300 mph, I do envy you. I can remember when Don Gartlets first broke 200 mph. They have came a long way, since then. Glad you had a great time.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I go to Englishtown NJ every year with my father & brother, nothing beats seeing & hearing the top fuel cars !

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Yowzer! I went to my first dragstrip meet at Gatornationals this year. The TopFuelers were simply amazing! I wrote a long post about the noise, distortion of vision as they went past...definitely one of the highlights of my existence. ::

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If watching was fun, try making a pass in one ;) ::

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've been 8.30's at 165 MPH in the 1/4 mile with my race car. That is a ride! I can only dream what it must be like in a Top Fuel dragster. :)

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would "Almost" :p give my left testical to take a pass down the 1/4 in a Top Fuel!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I go to the NHRA nationals at Ennis every year. Talked to John Force several times. They say that a top fueler makes more horsepower than the the first 5 rows at the Daytona 500, if I remember the quote correctly.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
That vibration is not your imagination. A top fuel dragster pounds the ground to the tune of 2.6 on the Richter scale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts