Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 17, and I was talking with a guy at a cruise-in this past weekend about his car back in the 60s. He had a 66 Fairlane 390, and the first thing he did when he got it was change the 390 emblems for 289 ones. I also talked with another guy who said 69 and 70 SportsRoofs would run Boss 302 stripes, and have built 428s or 429s in them. Does anyone have any specific examples of things they did like this, or things they remember? It would be really interesting to hear from you.

Thanks,
Joe
1970 SportsRoof
302-4V

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Heck, didn't need to try and fool them, most folks were so into Chevies at the time that they hardly took notice of the Fords. I had a 69 Mach I 428 CJ with shaker and 4sp, low miles, white, built by jegs back in 74-75, and all the so called "hotshots" who came up to pick me always asked if it was a 351... and I would feed on their ignorance with a big YEAH....that with the CobraJet call outs on the shaker ( mine never had the displacement callouts I see all over now). They would soon learn the difference after I hit second. They often got the jump on me due to traction issues, but by the end of second gear, I would walk by em like they were sitting still.....THEN they would say " that aint' no 351......" Da ::

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well for one thing in the 60's and 70's we didn't call them "Sportsroofs", they were Fastbacks!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I had a 390 '66 Fairlane GTA also, but rather than try to downgrade it to a 289, I hyped it as a 427 medium riser. It had the outward appearance of one with dual quads, etc, except the cross bolt mains. It ran like a bat out of hell and was rated at about 500 HP. I "scared" a friend when I punched it and took him up to 120. He had a "built" 440 magnum Charger so you can imagine what was required to "scare" him.

Ahhhhhhhh! The good old days!

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Joe, there was a guy that used to (reportedly still does) cruise around Mesa/Phoenix AZ back in the late 70's with a white 65-6 Fastback (early Clone) with a Boss 302 and Weber carbs. It was sweet and fast!!

And I just want to offer a special welcome to another 70 "Fastback" owner!! ::

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I was lucky enough in 1964 to have one of the great "sleepers" on the street. It was a 1955 Buick Century 2 dr hardtop. The car had about 16 coats of white laquer and the deepest reverse chrome rims you can imagine. All emblems, the mouse holes and the door handles had been molded off. The car had been prepared by the prior owner (a relative through marriage) for drag racing and he had a pile of trophies he'd won with it. It had a 322 c.i. Buick V8 that had been bored and stroked to 352 c.i. A Buick export cam. Solid lifters. 58 Buick heads that had been ported and polished along with the intake. Everything that could come off the engine had been chromed. A HUGE AFB 4V. Shaffer 11" aluminum flywheel. GMC pressure plate and disk. 3 speed Buick manual transmission. 4.45 gears. Loped like a big dog at idle. It would suck the doors off of the small block Chevys and they'd never see it coming. Embarassed a lot of guys trying to show off for their pals or girlfriends. I had it for a year (my freshman year in college) and couldn't afford the constant breakage. It did teach me how to work on cars, though. I had all those parts I mentioned in my hands at one time or another. Didn't know a carburetor from a generator when I bought the thing. :)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I don't remember brand-X powered Mustangs; although there may have been some created purely out of "head in the sand" kind of thinking. I was building SBFs in the early 70s that were cheap (Ford Muscle Parts) and every bit the match for the Chevy engines of the day. I do remember a Corvette Stingray with a 427 FE though.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Lakewoods??? Man you must be an old timer
He asked who was around in the 60's and 70's ...NOT 40's and 50's.
Did anyone say Moonies yet? wonder whatever happened to them?
Never mind , i remember now, mine rusted in a couple weeks and the chrome fell off...probably cheap Jap knock offs and werent real Moonies. pre Chineese days.
Please........ dont anyone mention extra long rear spring shackles that jacked the rear up in the air.
speakin of 50's...anyone remember Dodge Desoto with the Hemi in them..butt ugly car ....but a hemi in it...

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
My used to run around with a pal who had built a sleeper '57 Chevy. The body/trim was the non-belair "businessman's coupe" without all the chrome etc. Also deleted was the large V on the hood that showed a car running a 283 (IIRC).

But under the hood he'd dropped in a hot 283, and had exhaust cutouts that he could remove when he wanted.

Either way, he and my father surprised a lot of people at stoplights. Their opponents thought they were about to race a sedate six cylinder, and boy were they surprised when they got left in the fumes ! :D

BTW - my dad drove a "Ford-illac" - a 50's Ford with a Caddy engine in it...but according to him it could not compete with the Chevy 283 engine.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I got my license in 1974. Lots of boom tubes, side pipes, open headers, 78s on the front and 50s on the back, cut outs, and some kind of weird paint treatment using lace as a pattern. Wheels were slots (aluminum or cheapo steel), chrome reverse, cragers, and a few American 200s.

All you did every Friday and Saturday night was cruise and street race. We raced at a deserted industrial area and it wasn't uncommon to see 200+ cars on the weekends during the summer. Didn't see many real fast cars back then. A 13 second car was real fast. There just wasn't many 10 second street cars then. As to your rebadge question...I saw far more 307 Z/28s and 427 badged 289s than the other way. Back then if you had it you flaunted it.

Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts